"Moped-Style scooter" starts fire

News about Mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

"Moped-Style scooter" starts fire

Postby Micronaut » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:56 pm

Yep, one more for Don. Scooters (even MOPED-style scooters are bad news)

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 5643&rfi=6

Police suspect charger caused townhouse fire

By: Lea Kahn, Staff Writer
01/13/2005

Shirley Lane resident treated for smoke inhalation.

    An overheated charger for a moped-type scooter sparked a fire that damaged a Shirley Lane townhouse and sent its occupant to the hospital for smoke inhalation Tuesday morning, according to police Lt. Charles B. Edgar.
    The fire, which was reported to police at 10:56 a.m., began in the kitchen of Eric Harrje's residence in Building 13 of The Village townhomes, Lt. Edgar said. The charger had been placed on top of some plastic-wrapped cans, and ignited the plastic. The fire quickly spread to the rest of the kitchen.
    When firefighters and police officers arrived, they found the kitchen engulfed in flames and the rest of the house full of smoke, Lt. Edgar said. Mr. Harrje, 40, had left the unit before emergency personnel arrived. Residents of adjacent units also were evacuated as a precaution.
    The fire was brought under control in about 15 minutes, Lt. Edgar said. The residents were allowed to return to their homes by 11:25 a.m.
    Mr. Harrje, meanwhile, was taken to Capital Health Systems at Fuld for treatment of smoke inhalation, where he was listed in guarded but stable condition, Lt. Edgar said.
    Patrolman Lauren Smith and Detective David Burns are the investigating officers, along with George Lenhart of the Mercer County Fire Marshal's Office.
Wayne from Maine
Micronaut
Distinguished Rider
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:41 am
Location: Northeast

Return to Mopeds in the Media

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron