Artist wants to live with lots of dogs and ride a moped

News about Mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Artist wants to live with lots of dogs and ride a moped

Postby Micronaut » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:24 pm

Beautiful One' award-winner
Dixie Heights grad among top writers

"I'd love to be an artist some day," she said, "living in Eden Park with lots of dogs and driving a moped."

http://news.kypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 80363/1014

By Troy Lyle
Post staff reporter
ADVERTISEMENT

Chelsey DeMarcus is a typical teenager - except for the fact she's a highly creative artist, an introspective deep thinker and a talented and gifted writer.

She picked up validation of her writing skill last week when she received one of 400 national writing awards from the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards group.

DeMarcus, 18, received the Gold Key award, the highest recognition, for her short story "Little Beautiful One," about a young girl's coming of age in an awkward and at times "ugly duckling" body.

"I wanted to do a story encompassing my life and my experiences," she said.

Her life has been mostly spent in Villa Hills with her mother and father, Preston and Debbie DeMarcus, and their dog Astro, whom DeMarcus used as a mentoring character in her story.

"Astro was a mutt," she said. "He was a very sweet lab and shepherd mix with tan, black, brown and white blotches."

In DeMarcus' short story, Astro provides much needed friendship to her main character. He talks to her, takes her on adventures and teaches her about life.

DeMarcus was one of 16 Northern Kentucky students, and one of 40 from across the commonwealth, who received the awards, which also honor students for artistic achievement, during a ceremony at Carnegie Hall in New York City.

DeMarcus, a recent graduate of Dixie Heights High School in Edgewood, said she owes much of her success to her AP English teacher, Karen Martin.

"She's my driving force," DeMarcus said. "I tend to procrastinate, but she keeps me going."

Another of Martin's students, Michael Rossine, receive a Silver Key award from The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards group, considered by many as the premier identifier of high school art and writing talent.

Maurice R. Robinson started the group 80 years ago. Since then, such artists and writers as Truman Capote, Frances Farmer, Robert Redford, Andy Warhol and Sylvia Plath have received awards.

"The overall quality of writing was, to put it simply, 'rousing,' " said Frank McCourt, who won a Pulitzer Prize with "Angela's Ashes" and was a juror at this year's competition. "What I've read proves America - artistic America - is heading for a rich new century."

DeMarcus will attend Northern Kentucky University in the fall, where she plans to major in art and minor in creative writing.

"I'd love to be an artist some day," she said, "living in Eden Park with lots of dogs and driving a moped."
Wayne from Maine
Micronaut
Distinguished Rider

Return to Mopeds in the Media