UK criminals flee on moped, run down by cops

News about Mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

UK criminals flee on moped, run down by cops

Postby Micronaut » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:39 pm

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowStory.asp?stor ... s_ram_raid

Three remanded over fatal jewellers ram raid

Saturday, 8th October 2005, 12:00
LIFE STYLE EXTRA (UK) - Three men charged in connection with a bungled ram raid on one of the world's best-known jewellers in which one robber was killed and another critically injured were remanded in custody when they appeared in court today.

James Nicholson 19, Anthony Bates, 18, and 20-year-old Nicholas Walters, appeared before West London Magistrates Court each charged with one count of aggravated burglary.

The three men, all from Islington, north London, are accused of being involved in the failed raid on Tiffany & Co in Sloane Street, Chelsea, west London, in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Two other men were fleeing on a moped when they were struck by an unmarked police car during a dramatic pursuit.

One of them was run over and killed. The other man was today still fighting for his life in hospital.

The pair, who have not been named, were part of a gang which tried to ram raid the jewellery store at around 1.35am on Thursday.

But undercover cops were lying in wait and within seconds of bursting into the shop the raiders fled empty-handed.

The moped crashed into a stationary car in nearby Cadogan Place. It was there that one man was killed instantly and the other - said to be 'well-known to police' - badly injured when they were struck by a cop car.

Appearing before District Judge Justin Phillips today, Nicholson, Bases and Walters spoke only to confirm their names and addresses during a 15 minute hearing.

A bail application on behalf of Bates was refused. No bail applications were made on behalf of Nicholson or Walters.

When Mr Phillips asked the men to stand, Walters said: "I can't stand. I hurt my back when I got arrested because I was kicked." He was allowed to remain seated.

Mr Phillips remanded the three men, dressed in t-shirts and jeans, in custody until Thursday October 13 when they are due to appear before Blackfriars Crown Court.

Tiffany & Co, which has four stores in London, was founded in New York in 1837.

Scotland Yard's Directorate of Professional Standards has begun an investigation and the Independent Police Complaints Commission has been informed of the incident
Micronaut
Distinguished Rider

Return to Mopeds in the Media