Detailed info on New Laws for Ontario

News about Mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Detailed info on New Laws for Ontario

Postby Micronaut » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:08 pm

Ontario Government Introduces New Licences for Limited-Speed Motorcycles (Motor Scooters) and Mopeds
New Licenses Improve Road Safety

TORONTO, Dec. 20 /CNW/ - The Ontario government is improving road safety
in the province by introducing road testing and licensing for operators of
motor scooters and mopeds, Transportation Minister Harinder Takhar announced
"Ontario has the safest roads in North America and the McGuinty
government is committed to maintaining and building upon that record," Takhar
said. "That is why we are requiring drivers to be tested to operate the
vehicle they will drive."
The number of moped collisions has more than doubled between 1999 and
As of November 28, 2005, applicants are required to take a written test
on the rules of the road and demonstrate their skills in a road test using a
moped or motor scooter. Those who pass will receive a "Class M licence With L
Condition" that allows them to drive those vehicle types only. New road tests
will be available in spring 2006, when weather permits such testing.
"Testing drivers on their own motor scooter or moped improves road
safety, and it makes the whole licensing process faster and more convenient.
We applaud the government for making this change," added Bob Ramsey, president
of the Motorcycle and Moped Industry Council.
"Since 2003, this government has moved aggressively to maintain Ontario
as a leader in road safety. This initiative is part of the Ontario
government's plan to continue to work closely with road safety partners to
prevent death and injury on our roads," Takhar added.

Disponible en français



Ontario has the safest roads in North America and the McGuinty government
is committed to maintaining and building upon that record. To improve road
safety, the Ministry of Transportation has created a new "Class M licence With
L Condition" for both motor scooter and moped operators. This means that new
drivers will be road-tested and licensed specifically for these types of
vehicles. Previous road tests for motorcyclists required driving on a highway
and shifting gears. However, many motor scooters cannot reach speeds higher
than 70 km/h, and most are automatic.

What is a "limited-speed motorcycle" (LSM) or "motor scooter"?
Commonly known as a motor scooter, an LSM is defined by the Federal Motor
Vehicle Safety Regulations as a type of motorcycle that:

- Is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with
the ground
- Has a maximum attainable speed of 70 km/h
- Has steering handlebars that are completely constrained from rotating
in relation to the axle of only one wheel in contact with the ground
- Has a minimum wheel rim diameter of 250 mm and minimum wheel base of
1,016 mm
- Has a minimum seat height, when the vehicle is unladen, of 650 mm
- Does not have a structure partially or fully enclosing the driver and

LSMs manufactured after September 1, 1988 will have a label on the bike
itself, which says "LSM", indicating it complies with the federal definition.
LSMs manufactured before September 1, 1988 are not required to have a
compliance label but must meet the federal definition of an LSM (as above) and
must also have a:
- Minimum speed of over 32 km/h
- Maximum engine displacement of 50 cubic centimetres.

"Motor scooter" is currently included in the Highway Traffic Act's (HTA)
definition of motorcycle. As part of these changes, Ontario will now use the
federal definition of limited-speed motorcycle.

Effective November 28, 2005, to operate motor scooters on a roadway:
- Driver must hold a valid Class M1, M2 or M licence or a Class M
licence With L Condition
- The vehicle must be insured, registered and have licence plates
- The operator must wear an approved motorcycle helmet
- With this Class M With L condition licence, drivers can also operate
a moped, but not a motorcycle.

Motor scooters are not allowed to travel on controlled access highways,
including 400 series highways.

What is a "moped"?
A moped, also known as a motor-assisted bicycle, is a bicycle that:
- Is fitted with pedals that can operate at all times to propel the
- Has no hand or foot operated clutch or gearbox driven by the motor
and transferring power to the driven wheel
- Has an attached motor run by electricity or has a piston displacement
of no more than 50 cubic centimetres
- Cannot travel more than 50 km/h.

Effective November 28, 2005, to operate mopeds on a roadway:
- Driver must hold a valid Class M1, M2 or M licence or Class M licence
With L Condition
- Approved motorcycle helmet is required
- Vehicle must be insured and registered
- No passengers allowed
- With the Class M With L condition licence, operators can also drive a
limited-speed motorcycle but not a motorcycle.

Mopeds are not allowed to travel on controlled access highways, including
400 series highways.

What are the licensing and vehicle standards of other provinces and
- Ontario has a highly successful graduated licensing system.
- Most provinces' licensing requirements include LSMs within the
motorcycle class.
- Quebec has a separate licence for light motorcycles.
- In British Columbia, LSM operators are permitted to operate an LSM
with any class of licence.
- Italy and Holland have special classes for limited-speed motorcycles.
Nine European countries require mopedists to take a written and
practical test.

New types of vehicles and devices arrive in the marketplace everyday.
More information on operation and safety requirements for other two- and
three-wheeled vehicles is available on the Ministry of Transportation website
at ... /emerging/.

Bob Nichols
Ministry of Transportation
(416) 327-1158

Disponible en français

For further information: Contacts: Stephanie Nadalin, Minister's Office,
(416) 327-1815; Bob Nichols, Communications Branch, (416) 327-1158
Distinguished Rider
Posts: 1078
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:41 am
Location: Northeast

re: Detailed info on New Laws for Ontario

Postby vuarra » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:14 pm

Nothing in these rules says about test driving a moped / scooter, what kind of licence you need, etc.

While I agree with the idea of licencing, and I know that many jurisdictions where there are no licencing or insurance regulations, I don't see how do deal with the person who is interested in trying one out.

It looks like you need the licence first, then you can see if you actually want one of these bad boys.
2005 Tomos Targa LX, Airsal 65 cc piston kit, Biturbo exhaust.
Net Rider
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Hamilton ON

re: Detailed info on New Laws for Ontario

Postby John » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:22 am

You will need to do the M test at Kenora ave. That will get you to M1 which is good for 90 days, then you need to decide what you want as a bike. Stay with the ped and M1 is ok but your regulatr licence will have to have the designation on it, M2 will let you get up to a scooter that will legally (?) do 45 kph. If you get this far you might as well go all the way to the full M but it will cost you. Go to the Ministries site in Ontario and go over the "new" rules on licencing. If you had been using the ped for a period of time before the changes came in October you would have been grandfathered.

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
User avatar
Master Regional Rider
Posts: 4445
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:52 pm
Location: Caledonia, Ontario, Canada

Return to Mopeds in the Media

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests