Tomos is huge in moped production.

News about Mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Tomos is huge in moped production.

Postby steamboat » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:30 am

I knew Tomos was big but not this big.approximately 80% of 2-wheel moped sales worldwide Jim. ... cleID=2898
TOMOS USA is a US based subsidiary of TOMOS, which is part of Hidria Corporation, a large multiple division European holding company with manufacturing facilities in Slovenia (4), Holland, Mexico (discontinued in 2003) and Ecuador and a total employment force of 3,500. The long established TOMOS European Operations Division (600 employees) is the manufacturing source for TOMOS brand vehicles which account for approximately 80% of 2-wheel moped sales worldwide, primarily in US, Holland, Canada, Caribbean, Denmark, Sweden, France, Germany and Slovenia. In addition sales are conducted in the UK and Japan.

re: Tomos is huge in moped production.

Postby Cyberian » Tue May 09, 2006 8:39 pm

Good find,Jim!

Actually, I'm really not surprised if they are talking about true Mopeds.
Besides Kinetic, Hero and Sachs(?), who makes real Mopeds any more?

Postby Micronaut » Wed May 10, 2006 12:47 pm

Thanks for posting it Jim--!

Something about this article doesn't add up.

3500 people make 80% of the worlds new mopeds. do they mean 'Moped-class' or pedal moped?

If they ARE counting 50cc scooters, those numbers can't be right--

Honda probably employs that many people just to supply the metros and ruckus...?!?

What do you think? 80% of what? 50cc's?
Distinguished Rider

Postby steamboat » Wed May 10, 2006 2:40 pm

Hey Cyberian and Wayne, There are few pedal moped manufacturers out there and the Tomos numbers do look strange. Jim.

Postby steamboat » Thu May 11, 2006 2:22 pm

Check out the Tomosusa website, I think if you follow the colors, you will find Tomos uses some Puch designed engines. Jim.
LEGEND: the motorcycle name colour indicates the motorcycle was made: in co-operation | according to Puch design | with a new generation engine
with a gearbox-equipped engine after 1981 | with a gearbox-equipped engine of the APN family | in the automatic moped family

Postby raszpel » Fri May 26, 2006 5:49 pm

Hey I remember seeing a big bore kit that was 110cc's last year. I now want to purchase one and am having trouble finding it. Does anyone know of a kit this big? If so drop a bro some info, if not what is the biggest you have seen, and maybe even installed. I have a 2006 Tomos Revival with a A35 in it.
Tomos Revival owner
Net Rider

Return to Mopeds in the Media