Op Ed: Crack down on Reckless Moped riders

News about Mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Op Ed: Crack down on Reckless Moped riders

Postby Micronaut » Mon May 15, 2006 4:39 pm

Jordan Matthews: Crack down on reckless moped driving
http://www.madison.com/tct/opinion/lett ... 57&ntpid=2

A letter to the editor
Dear Editor: There is an abundance of mopeds around UW-Madison, and whether many of the drivers of these little scooters are suitable for the road is questionable.

There are no strict laws in place stating the rules of the road for mopeds. Wisconsin statutes simply state that mopeds legally should not exceed 30 mph and should be considered like a bicycle on the road. These are extremely vague rules for such dangerous little machines.

After living on the UW campus for a year, I have realized the extent of these scooters' dangers. Many of today's mopeds can exceed 40 mph and they drive them like they own the road.

From my personal experience, I have seen many mopeds swerve in between cars and even hit people. There simply aren't any laws enforced among the mopeds around the city.

I would like to see a change in how the police handle mopeds on the road. There needs to be consequences for reckless driving. This is a major hazard on the road and needs to be enforced. Just because these mopeds aren't as big as a car doesn't mean that they shouldn't be treated as a car if they share the same road.

I urge everyone who sees mopeds on a regular basis to watch this and take action. Let police and legislators know what you think.

I know one person can't change this, but if many start to realize these dangers, things can happen.

Jordan Matthews
Madison

Published: May 15, 2006
Micronaut
Distinguished Rider

Return to Mopeds in the Media