Butnut Had better keep his bike locked up!!

News about Mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Butnut Had better keep his bike locked up!!

Postby Micronaut » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:49 pm

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=20893

Theft charge upheld
WAILUKU – The day after a moped was reported stolen, a police sergeant spotted a man standing next to the vehicle in a Kihei parking lot.

"I thought it was suspicious," said Kihei patrol Sgt. David Silva, who saw the man walk around the building as the patrol car pulled up at 2 a.m. Saturday.

After seeing the moped ignition had been damaged, Silva called officer Masa-nori Kaya, who arrested the man, identified as Skyler S. Lloyd, in the lobby of Denny’s restaurant.

The officers and other witnesses testified at a preliminary hearing Wednesday in Wailuku District Court. Judge Barclay MacDonald ruled there was enough evidence to support a charge of second-degree theft against Lloyd, 21, of Kihei.

Kihei resident Kandy Esunis testified she had parked and locked the 2006 moped when she returned home from work at 11:45 p.m. on June 16.

At 6:15 a.m. the next day, the moped was gone and she called police. She said she had paid $1,075 for the moped in April and $149 for a cellular telephone she had left in the moped.

When police called her to the parking lot behind Denny’s, the moped alarm system had been disabled and there was other damage to the vehicle, she said.

Registration papers for the moped were found in Lloyd’s waistpack, Kaya said.

Silva said police officers couldn’t start the moped, which was also missing its side mirrors.

But Matthew Shephard, who has known Lloyd for about four months, testified that he saw Lloyd kick-start the moped when he showed up at the parking lot behind the restaurant about 3 a.m. Saturday.

Lloyd asked Shephard, who was at work, if he knew where he could hide the moped, Shephard testified. "I told him no ’cause I didn’t want nothing to do with it," Shephard said.

The judge kept bail at $5,000 for Lloyd, who was being held at the Maui Community Correctional Center.
Micronaut
Distinguished Rider

Return to Mopeds in the Media