News about Mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Belfast, Maine: 4 mopeds to be raffled;drawing on Aug 5th

Postby Micronaut » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:23 pm

Bridge Fund gets help from Coffee House
By Belfast Bridge Fund
Shawn Stockman
http://waldo.villagesoup.com/community/ ... ryID=76155

BELFAST (July 26): Murphy’s Coffee House on Main Street has agreed to raffle off four mopeds and mountain bikes to help raise money for the reconstruction of the Belfast Memorial Bridge.

There will be four separate raffles. Tickets are now on sale for the first one, for which a random drawing will be held at Murphy’s on August 5. Tickets are only $5, and there will only be 500 tickets sold per raffle (a minimum of 120 must be sold to hold each drawing).
Other raffle dates are August 19, September 2 and September 16, when the bridge’s grand opening is scheduled, complete with fireworks and festivities.

Get tickets at Murphy’s Coffee House at 40 Main Street, VillageSoup at 107 Church Street, Fertile Mind Bookshop at 105 Main Street, and Perry’s Nut House at 45 Searsport Ave.(Rt. 1).

For complete raffle rules and details about the mopeds and the bikes, visit the web site for the fundraiser, www.BelfastBridgeFund.org.
Each prize package consists of a Kinetic TRF Moped and a mountain bike that were previously used as rental units by Murphy’s Coffee House in Belfast. The estimated retail value of these prizes if they were new would be approximately $1,200.00 based on MSRP. The prizes are a community oriented way for Murphy’s to “get out of the moped and bike rental business,” according to proprietor Tim Murphy.

The raffle is the latest effort by small local group called the Belfast Bridge Builders, who pledged to raise more than $120,000 to finish the bridge with the original style lamp posts and railings. Based on their pledge, the City of Belfast has ordered the railings and lamp posts to be installed.
Micronaut
Distinguished Rider

Let's finish the Passagassawakeag River footbridge!

Postby Micronaut » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:30 pm

Let's finish the footbridge!
http://www.belfastbridgefund.org/

Originally built in 1921 to carry US Route 1 traffic across the Passagassawakeag River, the "Memorial Bridge" in Belfast became a footbridge in the 1960's when the new US Route 1 span created a more efficient connection between the Coast of Southern and Northern Maine.

In 2004, Belfast voters supported replacing the old structure with a new one. Demolition of the old bridge began in the summer of 2005. Construction of the new lateral supports on top of the reinforced granite piers began in early 2006, with a completion date currently estimated for this summer. But there is a budget shortfall, and we need your help.

We need to raise more than $120,000 to finish the bridge with the original style lamp posts and railings. There are many ways you can help. Today you can add your name to the walkway leading to the bridge by personalizing a brick, or sponsoring a lamp post. Or simply send in a donation.

Now you can visit our eBay Store to purchase one of the donated items or an historic print. Print out this form to make your contribution.

It all helps.

The new footbridge, which was recently recognized for a 2006 Smart Growth Award, is destined to regain its popularity with residents and tourists alike as a way to stroll across the river, take photos of the fishing boats and tugboats in the harbor, or fish for mackerel or striper. We hope we can count on your help to ensure its finished right!
Micronaut
Distinguished Rider

re: Belfast, Maine: 4 mopeds to be raffled;drawing on Aug 5t

Postby John » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:23 pm

Nice Idea. Been through Belfast a couple of times. but can't figure where this bridge is. You know Wayne?
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Micronaut » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:20 pm

I was in belfast as a kid. I haven't taken route one north in a long time though...I think it picks up on the north side heading north out of portland.

We did go south on route one all the way to new hampshire on the kymco's. Portland to Portsmouth, it was a great ride and almost nobody gave us trouble by driving poorly.

It would be nice riding and great views...taking route one north, but I think it would be smaller than southbound, maybe only two lanes without much shoulder. (never done it though, not sure..)

I actually live on a street connecting to route 1. Our neighborhood, the only access is route 1, main street, south portland. Before we got our house our apartment was located right on route 1.

I often thought about going "as far south" as I could make it using only Route One. I just might make that trip on a small bike someday
Micronaut
Distinguished Rider

Postby John » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:48 pm

Route 1 will get you all the way to Florida , Wayne!
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Return to Mopeds in the Media