News about Mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Small Mopeds, Big Questions? Government has too much time &

Postby ILuvUMan » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:17 pm

ILuvUMan
Net Rider

re: Small Mopeds, Big Questions? Government has too much ti

Postby dbert » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:23 pm

When you complain that mopeds consume too much space you have lost sight of the big picture.
ILUM. I see you are from Utah (me too).
At least they recognize a two wheeled vehicle that has a displacement no greater than 50 cubic centimeters as something different than a motorcycle. I just bought a moped and then discovered Utah considers everything in the same category as a Harley Davidson. Sigh.
dbert
Net Rider

re: Small Mopeds, Big Questions? Government has too much ti

Postby steamboat » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:02 am

"A motorist backs her scooter out from between two legally parked cars along Iowa Avenue. The scooter was illegally parked Thursday. Press-Citizen / Matthew Holst"
IMO The bike was illegally parked which makes it tough on legal riders. Now is the time to muster the troops and head for city hall and make your case for additional parking. Don't break the law, change the law. Jim
steamboat

Re: re: Small Mopeds, Big Questions? Government has too muc

Postby ILuvUMan » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:38 am

dbert wrote:When you complain that mopeds consume too much space you have lost sight of the big picture.
ILUM. I see you are from Utah (me too).
At least they recognize a two wheeled vehicle that has a displacement no greater than 50 cubic centimeters as something different than a motorcycle. I just bought a moped and then discovered Utah considers everything in the same category as a Harley Davidson. Sigh.

dbert:

I'm not complaining about Mopeds taking up too much space. Just the opposite. Sorry you misunderstood.

Need more than just 50ccs or less to be a moped in Utah. I have come to find Most Law Enforcement, DMV, Attorney Generals Office, many scooter dealers, just to name a few, do NOT know what a moped is in Utah.

You not only need 50ccs or less to be a moped, one also must..
Have no more than 2 BHP
No faster than 30 MPH on level ground
Pedals, to permit propulsion by human power
A power drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutch or shifting

Utah Law -> http://moped2.org/laws/Utah.htm

Actually, I love Utah's Law. No Registration, no property taxes, no insurance, no license plate, no inspection, no motorcycle endorsement (even though I have one), no helmet (unless under 18).

Good luck, what Moped (if it is a moped LOL) do you own?

I have a Tomos Revival with Pedals. Love it.
ILuvUMan
Net Rider

Re: re: Small Mopeds, Big Questions? Government has too muc

Postby dbert » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:44 pm

dbert:

I'm not complaining about Mopeds taking up too much space. Just the opposite. Sorry you misunderstood.

No, no. I’m sorry. I’m afraid you misunderstood me. I was also referring to "the article" complaining that scooters were taking up too much space and making it “problematic for bicycle parking”. Like things would be better if they just drove SUVs instead.

Thanks for the Utah law info.
I recently bought a fixer-upper 1980 50cc Yamaha champ for my kids. Because it is over 40 cc’s and has no pedals though Utah views it as a motorcycle. Registration, plates, proof of insurance, motorcycle endorsement everything a Harley driver would need. I just looked into this after purchasing this old scooter. I was hoping things would be more forgiving of something that will only do 25-30 mph. Looks like I will need to go find a genuine moped vs. a no-ped classic mini-bike.
[/quote]
dbert
Net Rider

Return to Mopeds in the Media