Former moped shop to be demolished

News about Mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Former moped shop to be demolished

Postby Jim C. » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:06 pm

The building that once housed the famous Mopeds of the San Gabriel Valley moped shop featured in the film "Moped Safety" is slated to be demolished. The "abandoned bowling alley" is the one seen next door to the shop in the movie.

Council OKs plans for Rubio Village
By Patricia Jiayi Ho Staff Writer
Pasadena Star-News
Article Launched:04/04/2007 09:08:28 PM PDT

SAN GABRIEL - The City Council approved a mixed-use development project planned for the southwest corner of San Gabriel Boulevard and Live Oak Avenue on Tuesday night.

Council members voted unanimously to approve the Environmental Impact Report and zone change for the four-story commercial and residential project.

Some council members described the proposal as a step in the right direction for revitalizing that area.

"It's a planning milestone for San Gabriel Boulevard," said Mayor Kevin Sawkins.

Dubbed Rubio Village, plans for the center include 18,000 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor, 159 residential units on the next three floors and two levels of underground parking.

The project site, which currently includes an [glow=red]abandoned bowling alley,[/glow] is located in the city's redevelopment area one block south of a Longs Drugs, the city's first national chain pharmacy. That shopping center was completed last year.

"That's been the catalyst, and things are going to get better all the way down the boulevard," said Councilwoman Juli Coztanzo, adding that there were other projects in the vicinity in preliminary planning stages.

Rubio Village will be developed by the property's owners, the San Gabriel Development Group. It is expected to attract national and regional tenants and will include public art and open space.

Fifteen percent of the residential units are slated to be affordable units, 14 of which will be occupied by low- or moderate- income households. Another 10 units will be available to households with very low income. A separate affordable housing agreement is pending Revelopment Agency approval.

The final design of the project, said to be in a Mission Revival style, is subject to review by the Design Review Commission.

patricia.ho@sgvn.com

(626) 578-6300, Ext. 4586
[glow=red][/glow][glow=#444444][/glow]
I was told if you stroke it more than twice it's a sin.
Jim C.
Net Rider

re: Former moped shop to be demolished

Postby Jim C. » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:17 pm

Shoulda hadda pic:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim C.
Net Rider

Postby Tab » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:33 pm

As it was before. That's just sad...

Tab
Master Regional Rider

Re: Former moped shop to be demolished

Postby lalunette » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:06 pm

Jim C. wrote:The building that once housed the famous Mopeds of the San Gabriel Valley moped shop featured in the film "Moped Safety" is slated to be demolished. The "abandoned bowling alley" is the one seen next door to the shop in the movie.

:(
Richard V. Loiselle
aka Lalunette

You can go far with a smile but you can go even farther with a moped (or a scooter) and a smile...

Blij dat ik rij...
lalunette
Net Rider

Postby Jim C. » Mon May 31, 2010 12:16 am

*** UPDATE ***
Looks like the recession isn't all bad.

Apparently the project that was to take the bowling alley and the famous former moped shop isn't happening. Both buildings are available for lease!

Anybody want to open a moped shop in a known good location?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim C.
Net Rider

Postby Zippy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:55 am

Jim C , I knew this moped thing was just a passing fad back in the 70s and would never last. Ha Ha.

Glad to see the building was spared. We should start a movement to make it a national historical site, maybe like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or open up a Medicinal Marijuana shop or both.

Mopeds and Marijuana.
Happy Trails
Zippy
Distinguished Rider

Re: re: Former moped shop to be demolished

Postby Jim C. » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:48 am

Zippy wrote:Glad to see the building was spared. We should start a movement to make it a national historical site, maybe like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or open up a Medicinal Marijuana shop or both.

Mopeds and Marijuana.

Great business plan, Zippy!
I'm on it:

Pot-n-Peds!
~"TWO STROKE-n-TWO TOKES"~
Jim C.
Net Rider

Re: re: Former moped shop to be demolished

Postby Zippy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:50 pm

Jim C. wrote:
Zippy wrote:Glad to see the building was spared. We should start a movement to make it a national historical site, maybe like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or open up a Medicinal Marijuana shop or both.

Mopeds and Marijuana.

Great business plan, Zippy!
I'm on it:

Pot-n-Peds!
~"TWO STROKE-n-TWO TOKES"~

Jim you missed your calling, from now on you write all my Ad copy.
Happy Trails
Zippy
Distinguished Rider

Postby Zippy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:27 pm

Under New Management
Happy Trails
Zippy
Distinguished Rider

Postby Jim C. » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:38 pm

ROFLMAO!
Just when I'm about to shut down my computer!

Well Zippy, you're making a dream come true. I wonder what the city fathers of San Gabriel would think of that. Way better than the two abandoned karaoke places on that block right now.

That's going to be my new screen saver, for sure.
Jim C.
Net Rider

Return to Mopeds in the Media