Overcoming nerves?

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Overcoming nerves?

Postby NefariousX » Wed May 21, 2008 11:26 am

I just bought my first 50cc scooter.
Honestly, it is the very first scooter I have ever driven in my entire life.
I don't drive a car either, due to fear.
(It has to do with a nasty racing accident years ago. I'd rather not go into it right now :P )

I figured I'd buy a scooter cause it is nothing like a car and I would be able to handle it.
Now, I can drive it just fine. I have a lot of fun on it, too.
But I noticed that I try my hardest to stick to side streets.

I live by a waterway though, and traveling to work over the freeway (They call them Highways here) is unavoidable. It's a hill, too. That makes it suck even more for me. The scooter doesn't go very fast in the first place, and going uphill is a nightmare.

But I would really like to make this scooter my main transportation method to work!!
I'm not sure if anyone here has gone through something similar, but I'd appreciate any advice!

Note: I am not here to be made fun of.. I am not here to be told to get over it.. I am looking for friendly advice.

Thank you!!
-Christine
Eat my slowly floating fine sheen of dust!
NefariousX
Net Rider

re: Overcoming nerves?

Postby onchiman » Wed May 21, 2008 12:08 pm

I personally don't think high speed freeways/highways and small/slow scooters are a good idea. But, just keep right and wear bright orange to be seen, maybe even a fluorescent orange flag mounted to the bike? Aside from that, a case of nerves isn't necessarily a bad thing. Keeps you on your toes and aware of what's going on around you.
"If it ain't broke, keep fixin' it until it is"
onchiman
Net Rider

Postby NefariousX » Wed May 21, 2008 1:24 pm

Thanks!
The scooter itself is mighty bright and shiny, being orange and blue..
:)
NefariousX
Net Rider

Postby maddog » Thu May 22, 2008 1:09 am

If you can keep up with traffic you should have no problems, depending on your scoot model you can do certain mods from a carb change to a small bore kit even a louder exhaust will let other drivers know that you are there, works for me!
Some people dream about speed! blink and im gone!
maddog
Net Rider

Postby JD » Thu May 22, 2008 8:28 am

This is one of those relatively rare situations where speed does really increase safety.

Given the choice between riding my original moped at 25 MPH in the SHOULDER of a road with 40 MPH traffic, or riding my 40 MPH moped in the LANE of that same road, I'll take the latter any day. Without a doubt, the single greatest benefit of adding power has been to increase safety. Speed differential is a major cause of accidents, not absolute speed.

You may find that a little power boost calms your nerves. It's tough enough negotiating traffic on two wheels. It's ten times worse if that traffic also trying to get around you because you're not keeping up.

Most 50cc scooters are speed-regulated in some way or another to keep them legal. It is generally a simple procedure to remove the speed restrictor and free up extra MPH. Your dealer should have no trouble doing this for you. But ya gotta ask.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby steamboat » Thu May 22, 2008 8:40 am

It's been a while since I have been to Myrtle Beach but the only hill I can rember is a little hill going to Conway. What type of bike do you have and what is your weight? Jim
I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
steamboat
Distinguished Rider

Postby primo-ped » Thu May 22, 2008 2:33 pm

...so this hill....is there a down side...you should haulin' butt on your way down:) I found that leaning back, like you're cruisin' on a chopper or something, brings up your MPH. Do this a few hundred yards before you get to the bottom of the hill. Otherwise, "Pimp Your Ped" and the engine upgrade or transmission upgrade mentioned in a previous reply. Easy ridin' girl!
primo-ped
Net Rider

Postby xrongor » Sat May 24, 2008 1:29 am

jim asked you your weight lol. i cant wait for the response.

as for the rest of it, i have one thing to say. take a motorcycle rider safety course.

randy
"In this world there's two kinds of people... Those with loaded guns, and those who dig." -- Blondie to Tuco
xrongor
Net Rider

Postby pehuskey » Sat May 24, 2008 8:49 am

That riders course is fantastic.
It is a safe and controlled environment to learn and practice correct technique. It is well run from top to bottom.
I know it has gotten more expensive over the last couple of years, but
it is well worth whatever the cost is.
Fight apathy...or don't, whatever.
Three tips to better posting . , SHIFT
pehuskey
Master Regional Rider

Postby NefariousX » Thu May 29, 2008 7:54 am

I was just as shocked by the weight question haha
But alas, I am not as private with it as most women.

I weigh 131lbs at 5'6".

Making mods to the engine and whatnot doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.
I finally tried the 501 (the hill) and was surprised to find that nobody tried to shove me off the road, as I was able to keep up with uphill and downhill traffic just fine.

It would make me more nervous to drive on the shoulder, so I have adopted the "I'm on a scooter. Deal with it." attitude. I'm extremely cautious, but I won't be bullied because of what I drive.

On a good note: I have always had an interest in cars and mechanics..
But buying the scooter has switched my interests over to scooters and mopeds :P

Oh and as far as the model and whatnot:
2007 Gator 50cc.

I knew nothing of scooters when I bought it.
I just needed something to get to work with that would cost less than the Jeep, and it has worked beautifully so far.

I need to learn more about scooters, so if there is anyone who feels an incessant need to teach some random chick, let me know :P

Thanks for all the help!!
-Christine

PS: I was reading a thread on MBworld and thought I'd link it for everyone.
It's definitely an interesting read! Internet PWNAGE!

SCAM ALERT - FS - OEM Mercedes Benz

The entire post is 37 pages long.. So..
SCAM ALERT (The Cliff Notes)
NefariousX
Net Rider

Postby steamboat » Thu May 29, 2008 9:29 am

The reason I asked about weight is, some people do not know the limitations of 50cc engines. they just think it is just cheap transportation. A 50cc, stock single speed moped/scooter is usually slow on takeoff and pulling hills so a heavy person has more problems than a lighter person. If your scooter has a CVT with your light eight, you should not have this problem. Sorry if the weight question was out of line. Jim
steamboat
Distinguished Rider

Postby NefariousX » Thu May 29, 2008 9:49 am

It wasn't out of line :)
I was just a little shocked that someone asked me!
Thank you for the info, though hehe
-Christine
NefariousX
Net Rider

Postby steamboat » Thu May 29, 2008 11:15 am

Christine, I searched several dealers on the web for a CVT in your model scooter and found none. A CVT is something dealers brag about. I think you have a oe speed as I noted in my previous post. Jim
steamboat
Distinguished Rider

Postby NefariousX » Thu May 29, 2008 11:44 am

I've never taken the time to notice a drop in RPMs when I am on it, to be honest. Is there a way to convert to CVT, or to somehow stop the drop in RPMs when it shifts?

I mean, I can think of other ways to make a scooter more noisy, but the CVT looks good to me because of the smoothness between gear changes.

I may have to recalculate this entire scooter deal and invest in a different kind. Hah
NefariousX
Net Rider

Postby JD » Thu May 29, 2008 12:58 pm

It would surprise me that someone is selling a 50cc scooter without a CVT, especially with a four-stroke engine. (But then, I'm constantly being surprised....)

Christine, when you open the throttle does the engine RPM increase much faster than the bike's speed, and then stay at that higher speed, more or less, as the bike "catches up" to it? If so, then you have a continuously variable transmission (CVT).

On the other hand, if the speed of the engine seems to be directly proportional to the speed of the bike, then you have a one-speed.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Next

Return to Scooter Riders