[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Moped Riders Association • View topic - Weight?

Weight?

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Weight?

Postby Uselessdreamer1 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:17 pm

Im a bigger guy(320lbs) and i have been wanting a moped/scooter for awhile now but didnt know if a 50cc would be ok with my weight. Im going to be using the moped for town travel and deliveries at my job(sub delivery). Im looking to spend as little as possible, much like all of you, to get the best i can get. My goal is 500ish spent. Is this possible?
Uselessdreamer1
Net Rider

re: Weight?

Postby xrongor » Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm

some 50cc bikes will probably be just fine. some probably wont. you will probably just have to ride some and see what you think.

if you can find something with more than one gear that will help a lot. if you arent worried about turning it into a motorcycle (legally) you can always go with an aftermarket kit to increase displacement.

good luck
randy
"In this world there's two kinds of people... Those with loaded guns, and those who dig." -- Blondie to Tuco
xrongor
Net Rider

Postby tortoise » Thu May 29, 2008 4:14 pm

tortoise
Net Rider

Postby pehuskey » Thu May 29, 2008 4:58 pm

You probably need to be looking for at least a full framed scooter.
A scooter that comes with a 150cc engine package, even if you get the
50cc model. You need one that has a suspension that is recommended for two up riding. Honestly you probably need at least a 150cc bike.

I don't like you chances of finding anything for $500 right now.
If you did, it would rough. Everybody is after a way to save a few dollars on gas right now. Scooters, even some new, are getting hard to find in spots.
Fight apathy...or don't, whatever.
Three tips to better posting . , SHIFT
pehuskey
Master Regional Rider

Postby duck » Thu May 29, 2008 7:15 pm

I dunno.. I have seen some pretty big guys on these bikes.. 320 is big.. no questions for a moped... but I think if your on somewhat level ground.. and your not trying to go 50 mph on the bike you could find one.
Shocks are cheap 40 bucks or so and some good tubes and tires you should be fine. The only problem I see is the price.. 500 bucks isn't alot of money these days.

There are alot of mopeds with "bannana" seats that me and my wife would ride together we are 300 ish.. haven't had any that couldn't tote us around together. If you put a bigger kit on a bike with a variable speed trans or a 2 or 3 speed ped you shouldn't have problems with normal driving around town... you will not have as much power as a lighter guy or the speed of a motorcycle but it doesn't sound like that what your after anyways...

Anyone wanting speed and power problably wouldn't be looking at mopeds in the first place.
duck
Master Regional Rider

Postby jswift » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:05 am

I'm not quite as big (around 280). But the Tomos Moped top weight is I think 320. Problem is you have to replace the OEM rear shocks. Otherwise, A55 ST will propel me at 35 no questions asked, and it's not modified other than the rear gear and jetting. So I'm thinking that Tomos has a lot more power available than is let on.
--"After a fell day in the saddle, there is not too much numb bum from the soft comfort seat" www.scooterdepot.us/50cc-Gas-Moped-Scooter-p-436.html"
jswift
Net Rider

Postby maddog » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:36 am

Get up off your lazy ass, lose the weight and you just may live longer! reality sucks...
Some people dream about speed! blink and im gone!
maddog
Net Rider

Postby jswift » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:01 pm

A Tomos Moped tops out at 330 or so total pounds max weight. Motor is strong enough to carry you, but you have to get new rear shocks that are longer, and firmer. Tomos Peds are very strong for 2 hp 49 cc. They are more powerful then they are geared. I still did 30 in a 45 mph headwind after a very slow start. If I had kept stock gearing, the off the line would have been faster. Tomos Peds are the most underrated bike out there. Mine carries me (265) plus gear at 35-40 mph in all but the most severe head winds.
--"After a fell day in the saddle, there is not too much numb bum from the soft comfort seat" www.scooterdepot.us/50cc-Gas-Moped-Scooter-p-436.html"
jswift
Net Rider

Postby xrongor » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:56 pm

dang swifty. you're so drunk you didnt even notice you already posted almost the same thing 6 months ago lol.

randy
"In this world there's two kinds of people... Those with loaded guns, and those who dig." -- Blondie to Tuco
xrongor
Net Rider

Postby maddog » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:21 pm

Some people dream about speed! blink and im gone!
maddog
Net Rider

Return to Scooter Riders