How many miles do you need to ride...

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

re: How many miles do you need to ride...

Postby Ike » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:18 am

Lar,

It took us 6 days to get to Florida. 6 nights in a motel average 80.00 a night = 480.00. $35.00 at the General Putnam !

Food for 6 days on the road, average $40.00 a day = $240.00 And thats eating at Mcdonalds a lot ! And bottled water and pop at every fuel stop.

The Silverado gets 15 mpg. Went 1,020 miles one way. =68 gallons at $3.00 per gallon. Gas averaged $3.00 at the time we went on the trip =$204.00 I can drive the truck in 1 day. Food for 1 day = $40.00.

Moped expense= $720.00 x3 people = $2,160.00
Truck expense= $244.00

Now, considering all three of us could have went in the truck and shared the gas, $204.00, we could have went in the Silverado for $68.00 in gas. And thats riding in air conditioned comfort.

Now, these figures are based on a 15mpg gas guzzler. I could drive my LUV truck to Florida and cut the gas cost in half again ! And still get there in 1 day and still be riding in air conditioned comfort. Gas for LUV truck= $122.00 divided by 3 = $40.67 !!!!!

So, this shows that traveling cross country on a moped is not practical when you consider everythng. I have said this before and I will say it again, Mopeds are "toy motorcycles" designed for kids to play "billy biker" They are not serious transportation.

Ike
Only God can make a tree....
and only Tomos can make a Moped!
Ike
Master Regional Rider

Re: re: How many miles do you need to ride...

Postby JD » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:43 am

Ike wrote:Mopeds are "toy motorcycles" designed for kids to play "billy biker" They are not serious transportation.

Spoken by the man who sells them!

I'd take slight exception, though. They are, indeed, not "serious transportation" if you live where Ike does, out in the country and miles from everything, and plenty of parking most places he goes.

To a city dweller, though, they are VERY serious transportation. Just ask the thousands of moped riders I saw getting to work or the train station every day in Amsterdam. They use them every day as car replacements.

For the vast majority of Americans living in suburban and rural America, though, mopeds are entertainment. And unless we all decide to move into the cities, they always will be little more than that.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby Ike » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:32 pm

JD,

My "toy motorcycle" remark usually ruffles some feathers ! lol And that remark is not meant to be all negative.

I love toys ! Toy motorcycles, toy airplanes, toy trains, you name it. But not dolls lol.

I just think some people take Mopeds too serious, thats all.

Ike
Ike
Master Regional Rider

Postby jswift » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:09 pm

Right tool for the right job. For example I could fly my 747 from my house to where I work. But the 800 Gallons of Fuel and the landing patterns, not to mention the 300 miles it would take to cover 8 miles makes it really stupid. A moped can easily cover a 40 mile trip. It's the "perception" of said trip. If you are doing 40 miles in populated areas, no biggie, because, traffic is not moving much faster. If you do the 40 I do, open road for most of it, it seems like forever, because the traffic is moving at 60, and nothing but trees.
--"After a fell day in the saddle, there is not too much numb bum from the soft comfort seat" www.scooterdepot.us/50cc-Gas-Moped-Scooter-p-436.html"
jswift
Net Rider

Postby Ike » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:31 pm

You`re right, I could have flown to Florida in a 747 cheaper than I did on a moped.

Ike
Ike
Master Regional Rider

Previous

Return to Scooter Riders