Riding without a battery

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Riding without a battery

Postby JD » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:28 pm

I took the batteries out of the TGBs for the winter, but decided to layer up and go for a spin today.

She started on the first kick and ran pretty well, although the idle was shaky, even after warming up. Even without the battery, the headlight, taillight, and brake light seem to work OK. The horn sounds anemic, but that could be from the cold. The turn signals, however, do not work at all.

When I removed the battery I didn't expect to be riding, so I just left the battery cables loose. I'm thinking that maybe I should take up the floorboard again and attach the cables to each other in order to close the circuit and see if the turn signals come back to life. Any comments on the potential for harm by doing this? Do I risk dumping too much amperage into the circuit by removing the regulating feature of the battery?

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

re: Riding without a battery

Postby John » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:33 pm

Put the battery in! 2 bolts to disconnect. Battery Tender it. You run the risk of burning all your lights out and possible damage to the alternator.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

re: Riding without a battery

Postby JD » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:43 pm

Then I'll probably just stop riding it.

To get to the battery compartment, I need to take out about a dozen screws, remove two pieces of aluminum floorboard, and uninstall the compartment cover. There is no easy way that I can see to keep a battery tender attached to the battery while it's all closed up in there. I'd have to drill holes somewhere in the sides of the battery compartment for the battery tender wires.

I should have saved the dead battery that I replaced a couple of years ago. I probably could have installed that during the winter. It wouldn't have started the bike, but it would have protected the system, I suppose.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Return to Scooter Riders