help with 1985 honda spree

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

help with 1985 honda spree

Postby jason3496 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:15 pm

I have a honda spree that was given to me. We knew that the starter was bad, so I got a new one and now that works. The problem is that the only way to get it started is to pour some gas into the cylinder and then put the plug back in and then it will start, but of course it only runs until the gas in the cylinder is burned up, a few seconds. The gas is good, I have cleaned the carb, plug is good. I am not sure if the fuel "pump" is good. there is a thing that goes into the carb that is a needle looking thing with a green and a yellow wire on it. I thought maybe this was a form of a gas pump that pulsates or does something to let the gas through. If i remove the fuel "pump" and pour some gas in there, then it will start also, but run only for a few seconds. is there a way to test this part? What should it do normally? should there be 12 volts to one of the green or yellow wires while the motor is cranking? does it matter if the green and yellow wires are reversed? so here is what I have, and I am sure that gas is getting from the tank to the carb, but I am not sure the gas is making it through the carb to the cylinder. PLEASE HELP.....also if anyone knows where to find a wiring diagram that would help.
jason3496
Net Rider

re: help with 1985 honda spree

Postby mopedlar » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:01 pm

I'm no expert with Sprees, but I do know Honda Elites, and that needle thingy sounds like your autobystarter, which is similar to a choke. If the bystarter is bad, the bike will be difficult to start when cold. That may be part of your problem.

I suspect your carb is still not clean enough and/or the main jet and/or idle jet is clogged with gunk. Soak the carb overnight, flush it out with water, blow it out with compressed air and clean those jets with a very fine sewing needle or piece of wire from a wire brush.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby duck » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:22 am

Mopedlar is right on.. give it and try and let us know if that helps.
duck
Master Regional Rider

Postby Tab » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:01 am

Also, if the vacuum activated petcock is bad, gas may not be getting to the carb. Check the lines going to it and...if possible...apply vacuum to it and check for gas flow.
Tab
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:59 pm

I've never had a bad pet cock before. They all have been pretty well behaved ;-)
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby supercub » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:18 am

'Got me in trouble a couple of times around. Someone I know has a Spree, he said ity fired up but would not charge, I think he fell off his short list of things to do, since I sold my Ciao frame I am parting out, it s too gone to deal with, so the Spree might be a cool bike if painted up, Maybee I will offer him something for it 50 bucks?? Looks cool like an old skool scoot, but how well would it go? 30mph, but it is a single speed, no restricor to worry about, maybee some light mods to get it to 35 or so. Anybody ride a spree???
supercub
Regional Rider

Return to Scooter Riders