'86 Yamaha Scooter - Battery Issue

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

'86 Yamaha Scooter - Battery Issue

Postby Bubs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:43 am

I bought a ‘86 Yamaha 49cc for $100. Just under 3,500 miles. What a deal! It runs great, the only issue seems to be the battery. The previous owner mentioned that the battery wouldn’t stay charged for some reason. He claimed that he put a new one in a while back, however I don't know if he rode it often. What should I look at first?

I mean, it isn't pretty by any means, but $100 for a running, riding scooter is pretty nice these days. By the way, it's 49cc, but apparently it isn't a Razz. My registration reads "CA50N RI". What model is this?
Bubs

re: '86 Yamaha Scooter - Battery Issue

Postby John » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:01 am

Looks like a Razz to me.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Re: re: '86 Yamaha Scooter - Battery Issue

Postby Bubs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:09 am

John wrote:Looks like a Razz to me.

I was just wondering because someone else said it didn't look like one.

What could fail on this bike that would keep the battery from staying charged? It could be because he let it sit for a while, but all I know is that it "wouldn't hold a charge".
Bubs

Postby John » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:55 pm

Well it is not a CV80 (70cc) Riva/Beluga/Hercules as it is too small. So it defaults to a CV50 (49cc) Razz. Lots of info on it if you search. Not much you can do to make it faster than it is now. A 6 volt system also, that requires the battery in line or you will burn out the bulbs.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Bubs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:20 pm

John wrote:A 6 volt system also, that requires the battery in line or you will burn out the bulbs.

What do you mean by the battery being "in line"?
Bubs

Postby John » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:30 pm

You need a battery in the wiring scheme or your lights will be toast.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Bubs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:08 pm

I see. Right now, the battery is dead and there is no headlight wired in. When the bike is running, the tail light comes on but does not shine brighter when I brake. I'll see what is and isn't working when I install a working battery at some point. In the meantime, it's registered and no inspection is required so I can ride it during the day.

It actually has a flashlight mounted on the front, apparently it hasn't had a headlight installed in some time.
Bubs

Postby supercub » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:57 am

Charge the battery with a low amp charger meant for bikes and install it. After you install the new headlight, take a voltage reading on the battery with the key off. Start it up and take another volt reading at the battery. If the 2nd reading is higher, the bike is charging. If the battery does not stay charged after a good charging, then it is toast. Most bike shops will test it for you off the bike, probably for free.
supercub
Regional Rider

Postby xrongor » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:31 pm

personally i would forget what the previous owner told you and start from scratch as if you found it by the side of the road. if he knew so much he would have gotten it running. and if you start with the assumption the battery is good that could lead you down a lot of dead ends before you get to the root of the problem.

if i were troubleshooting it i would start with a brand new battery. its cheap and you can then be CERTAIN that isnt going to be the problem both now and into the future. if the bike isnt generating power, the tail light would not come on, and its unlikely its generating power but somehow not enough to charge the battery. also if the battery is bad, the readings you get from the multimeter may lead you to assume things that are not true.

look for simple stuff. in fact, sight unseen, id bet 20 bucks its a blown fuse, if indeed there is a problem at all. get a new battery, clean the terminals, and check the fuses.

the tail light is probably just blown. very likely an 1157 that you can get at any auto parts store will fit in the socket and work just fine, or you can order the correct one from yamaha if you dont mind paying more for the bulb.

one other comment. depending on where you live, it may be illegal to operate the bike without a working headlight regardless of night or day. most (if not all newer) bikes do not have an on/off switch for the headlight just for this reason.

good luck

randy
"In this world there's two kinds of people... Those with loaded guns, and those who dig." -- Blondie to Tuco
xrongor
Net Rider

Postby Bubs » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:21 am

xrongor wrote:personally i would forget what the previous owner told you and start from scratch as if you found it by the side of the road. if he knew so much he would have gotten it running. and if you start with the assumption the battery is good that could lead you down a lot of dead ends before you get to the root of the problem.

if i were troubleshooting it i would start with a brand new battery. its cheap and you can then be CERTAIN that isnt going to be the problem both now and into the future. if the bike isnt generating power, the tail light would not come on, and its unlikely its generating power but somehow not enough to charge the battery. also if the battery is bad, the readings you get from the multimeter may lead you to assume things that are not true.

look for simple stuff. in fact, sight unseen, id bet 20 bucks its a blown fuse, if indeed there is a problem at all. get a new battery, clean the terminals, and check the fuses.

the tail light is probably just blown. very likely an 1157 that you can get at any auto parts store will fit in the socket and work just fine, or you can order the correct one from yamaha if you dont mind paying more for the bulb.

one other comment. depending on where you live, it may be illegal to operate the bike without a working headlight regardless of night or day. most (if not all newer) bikes do not have an on/off switch for the headlight just for this reason.

good luck

randy

It's fine in my state, they do not require inspections and I've seen a dozen police officers so far with no issues. I've been riding it all over town.

I brought the scooter to my class to use an ohm meter and it read .503 volts. Charged for a while, checked again to find it at .954 volts and dropping rapidly. Battery is junk.

The blinkers and instrument lights are not operational right now, presumably because of the battery. The rear brake light works and gets brighter as the engine RPM increases. However, it does not shine brighter when I brake.

I need to simply plug in a new head light, but I will have to find one used because it is apparently a discontinued part, my local Yamaha shop says. Also, where exactly are the fuses?

Bubs

Postby John » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:37 pm

Fuse is back by the battery compartment.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Return to Scooter Riders