Please help with Electrical Problem with CPI JR50 2-stoke

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Please help with Electrical Problem with CPI JR50 2-stoke

Postby Big A » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:38 pm

Hello, I hope someone out there can get me heading in the right direction. I bought my son a 2007 CPI Oliver JR50 with the 2 stroke engine. The guy I got it from said it was in need of a battery. At the time I bought it, I was able to kick start it and it seemed to run fine. I got a battery for it and put it in. After installing the battery, it still would not start by using the electric start. I then noticed that there was a small red wire that went to the positive post on the battery that had an inline fuse. The fuse was blown so I replaced the fuse. The electric start worked as did the gas gauge that previously did not. I shut the scooter off and tried to re-start it and the fuse was again blown. I replaced the fuse again and it started again. I then noticed that the wire with the inline fuse seemed to feel quite warm to the touch. I shut the motor off and turned the key off. I then noticed that the headlight was lit very dim with the ignition in the off position. I know nothing about these things and dont even know where to start. I am sure I will have to take it somewhere to be repaired. I was just wishing that maybe someone else may have had a simular problem and maybe... just maybe there was a quick and easy fix that even I might be able to handle. ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!
Big A
Net Rider

re: Please help with Electrical Problem with CPI JR50 2-stok

Postby supercub » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:53 am

Try inspecting all of the wiring for shorts to the frame or other wires. Inspect all of the connectors and check the grounds. If a switch is worn or damaged and one lead is shorting out, the heat will build up and blow the fuse. Your problem may be nothing more than that.
supercub
Regional Rider

Return to Scooter Riders