[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Moped Riders Association • View topic - Honda Elite 80 - no spark

Honda Elite 80 - no spark

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Honda Elite 80 - no spark

Postby Breaze » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Breaze
Net Rider

re: Honda Elite 80 - no spark

Postby scout » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:30 am

Congratulations. Finally someone who take a little initative and trys to troubleshoot, even gets a multimeter and reads the instructions. My hat it tipped to you!
Sounds like you are on the right road, the coil does look suspicious. Did you test from the plug cap or remove the plug wire from the coil and test from the electrode? Some are removeable some are not. They are molded in place.
An easy way to get the flywheel off is to borrow a puller from one of the auto parts places that lends tools. Some PB Blaster to loosen it up for a day or so before.
Keep hunting. You will find the problem.
scout
Net Rider

Postby supercub » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:01 am

There is probably a 1000 ohm resistor in hte plug cap. I have had them fail on me. Unscrew the cap from the wire and check the cap for resistance. If you luck out here, it's only a 3.00 part.
supercub
Regional Rider

Postby Breaze » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:14 pm

Yee-haw, it was the coil, actually the plug cap. the wire does not come off of the coil - it is molded into place, so I took the plug cap off and the resistance without it was right where it should be (thanks for the suggestion). So I replaced the cap with one off of a parts bike I had and I can't tell you how good those blue sparks looked.

It cranks now and runs but I am waiting on filters and a battery before putting it all back together and tuning.

Since I have your attention, looks like Honda has progressed (I might say regressed) from good ol' manual chokes to what they call a 'fuel enrichment thermal valve' - I suffered through the auto choke by-starter system on my old 81 Express SR and now I'm worried about this new electronic version. Anyway, the service manual and parts diagrams show an o-ring at the base of the valve but I am missing that o-ring. Honda wants over $30.00 for a carb gasket set - they are cheaper on e-bay but the picture only shows 1 o-ring - I'm assuming it is for the manifold connection.

Any idea how important that o-ring is? it seems to seal well without it but...
Breaze
Net Rider

Postby oilyhans » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:53 pm

well get yourself one . i think most the o rings that go around
fuel are made from nitril or something that won't dissolve in it.
but try a good hardware/home store that has lots of
faucet parts/o rings , take the enricher with you to
check the size .

i found this place for a friend a couple weeks ago &
these guys have some pipes for the ch80 if your
looking for more power..eer
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.battlescoot ... 62648%3D29
later of course when you get your scooter running ..

oilyhans
Adly, TGB & TNG Scooters
MRP Racing Parts
Fulmer Helmets
Kelly Blue Book Contributor on Scooter prices
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart
oilyhans
Net Rider

Postby supercub » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:35 pm

supercub
Regional Rider

Postby Breaze » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Breaze
Net Rider

Postby oilyhans » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:28 pm

Adly, TGB & TNG Scooters
MRP Racing Parts
Fulmer Helmets
Kelly Blue Book Contributor on Scooter prices
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart
oilyhans
Net Rider

Postby Breaze » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:34 am

Breaze
Net Rider

Postby maddog » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:57 am

Go to www.jacksscootershop.com click on honda info center, this guy has every common problem connected with your scoot and how to take care of it.
Some people dream about speed! blink and im gone!
maddog
Net Rider

Return to Scooter Riders