E-ton Beamer won't start

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

E-ton Beamer won't start

Postby bend91 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:01 pm

A little history about the moped: It is a 2005 E-ton Beamer III. I bought it in march or so from a guy who said it wouldn't start after not starting it at all during the winter. It has 11xx miles on it. The electric start only clicks (doesn't turn over and it has a fresh battery) but the kick start works.
Okay so basically I just got back from college and this is the first real time I've had to work on it. I have never heard it run. I've tried spraying a little carb cleaner into the cylinder but that didn't get it to start. I haven't had a chance to do a compression test yet but it does pop my finger off the hole. How much compression should it read? Is 100 psi a standard when it comes to 2 strokes? It is getting spark but I've read it may not be strong enough. How would I test if it is weak? The exhaust looked pretty clean. Any tips on how to get her going? Could my timing be off? I think I remember reading somewhere that if a bike sits long enough there could be too much oil in the crank case. Could this be my problem? Thanks in advanced.
bend91
Net Rider

Re: E-ton Beamer won't start

Postby oilyhans » Thu May 13, 2010 11:45 am

bend91 wrote:A little history about the moped: It is a 2005 E-ton Beamer III. I bought it in march or so from a guy who said it wouldn't start after not starting it at all during the winter. It has 11xx miles on it. The electric start only clicks (doesn't turn over and it has a fresh battery) but the kick start works.
clicking sound could be a bad connection on the ground or
cables or battery is not fully charged

Okay so basically I just got back from college and this is the first real time I've had to work on it. I have never heard it run. I've tried spraying a little carb cleaner into the cylinder but that didn't get it to start.
try some starting fluid not carb cleaner
I haven't had a chance to do a compression test yet but it does pop my finger off the hole. How much compression should it read? Is 100 psi a standard when it comes to 2 strokes? It is getting spark but I've read it may not be strong enough. How would I test if it is weak? The exhaust looked pretty clean. Any tips on how to get her going? Could my timing be off?
nothing to change timing is fixed
I think I remember reading somewhere that if a bike sits long enough there could be too much oil in the crank case.
you wouldn't be able to crank it over if there was oil in the CC
Could this be my problem?
could be excess oil in the fuel did you drain the carb?
Thanks in advanced.

hope that helps

oilyhans
Adly, TGB & TNG Scooters
MRP Racing Parts
Fulmer Helmets
Kelly Blue Book Contributor on Scooter prices
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart
oilyhans
Net Rider

re: E-ton Beamer won't start

Postby maddog » Thu May 13, 2010 7:32 pm

Yes, if you let the scoot sit the fuel will evaporate from the crankcase leaving just oil, also fuel will lose octane after 90 days so it may not fire the engine, change the old fuel then put your hand over the air filter while kicking the engine over at least 25 times, this will equalize the mix in the case faster then again the carb may be gummed up.
Some people dream about speed! blink and im gone!
maddog
Net Rider

re: E-ton Beamer won't start

Postby oilyhans » Thu May 13, 2010 11:58 pm

if its sat idle for 5+ months usually i drain everything
tank first & then re-fill, open carb drain screw and drain bowl &
leave it open while kicking over a few times to drain the
filter and fuel line. i drain out about 8 oz. in a container
so i can tell what i have.

after that if it doesn't fire with a hot shot then
check for spark & replace the plug for good measure.
and kick it over, don't use the button it uses too much
battery power and there is nothing left to help
generate a good hot spark.

oilyhans
Adly, TGB & TNG Scooters
MRP Racing Parts
Fulmer Helmets
Kelly Blue Book Contributor on Scooter prices
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart
oilyhans
Net Rider