Gator 50r slow after belt change

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Gator 50r slow after belt change

Postby jake26 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:50 pm

Hey guys, not sure if i am posting in the right section, Have a question for you, well my cvt belt broke, not knowing too much about all that i took it to a mechanic that works on bikes and mopeds, he replaced the belt for me and charged me 60.00. before the belt snappage my moped was strong and used to run between 35-45mph as indicated by the speedometer. Now i took it to go fishing, same road i always take and the moped would not exceed 30 MPH! even down hill! i weigh 180lbs so i know my weigh is not a problem.. what do you think could be wrong?

the moped was out of commision only for few hours

i tend to take it back to the mechanic when i can but i figured i ask you guys first..

DO you think the belt needs to be broken in?
GATOR 50R
thanks in advance
jake26
Net Rider

re: Gator 50r slow after belt change

Postby maddog » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:10 pm

just a few things to check besides the new belt being the same as the old one, inside the front pulley there will be 6 roller weights if they have flat spots on them it will cause lose of speed, also on the ramp they ride on there will be 3 plastic ramp guides if they are worn it will cause lose of speed, on the rear drive pulley take off the clutch and center spring, twist the pulley apart by hand and feel for binding which will cause a belt to snap, there are pins that ride an s-groove which need to be greased every yr. pull the sleave off and grease, take your scoot back to the mechanic and make him pay you for your new found knowledge LOL!!!
Some people dream about speed! blink and im gone!
maddog
Net Rider

re: Gator 50r slow after belt change

Postby jake26 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:55 pm

i have finally took the cover off and the belt size on my gator 50r is 729 17.7 30 do you think this is the right belt that the mechanic put on there or is it a little too long or wide. Please let me know asap.

thank you for your help...
jake26
Net Rider

Return to Scooter Riders