I HATE working on scooters

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

I HATE working on scooters

Postby JD » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:51 pm

Today I had to replace a broken bolt that holds part of the windshield support to the frame of the bike. Should have been a piece of cake...NOT.

What a royal PITA. I must have removed 50-odd screws and nuts, and I still never figured out how to remove the plastic gingerbread I needed to get behind in order to remove the broken bolt and install the new one. These things were clearly engineered to be assembled in a certain order, not to be taken apart for repairs.

I finally had to use an alternative attachment technique that would have made an engineer cringe. The broken bolt (and nut) remains entombed inside the bodywork.

Thank goodness the TGBs are extremely reliable. If I had to wrench on them half as much as I work on the Tomos mopeds, I'd have sold them already because of the aggravation. The mopeds need a lot of work, but at least the time spent is fixing the problem, not trying to get to it.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

re: I HATE working on scooters

Postby oilyhans » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:45 pm

remember the chinese scooter (and most all other scooters)
are like the round ball or square chinese puzzle ,
there is the key piece that you start with.
some its the rear rack, others its the seat bucket
and some its the piece between the seat & floorboard
by the back of your legs when you ride.

on the handlebars its a bit easier, the front side comes off first (usually)
oh yeah i forgot for a bit, theres the secret places you have to push on to unsnap the hidden tabs on just about every plastic piece.

what scooter are you working on?

oilyhans
Adly, TGB & TNG Scooters
MRP Racing Parts
Fulmer Helmets
Kelly Blue Book Contributor on Scooter prices
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart
oilyhans
Net Rider

Postby Ralph C Barger » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:50 am

I have a TGB Delivery 150 with 6100 miles on it and a TGB/Peirspeed
Delivery 50cc. Taiwanese mfg., very reliable and easier to work on than
my Tank 150 or my IB trike( now parked for the duration).My Tomos 01
Revival is the easiest to work on of them all.
Believe in the possibility of doing the impossible.
Ralph C Barger
Net Rider

Postby JD » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:54 am

My frustration is a TGB Laser R5.

The engine isn't too hard to reach, but nothing down there has needed service. Just try getting inside the instrument panel module
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:38 am

I feel your pain. I dread working on any of my Honda scooters because of all the tupperware you have to remove. A couple of weeks ago, I installed a new rear tire on my CH125. What a nightmare to get the rear wheel off. Like most scoots, you have to remove the entire exhaust system, and of course the exhaust studs were so rusted they backed right out of the case.

My lastest PITA is the battery on my Honda Metropolitan. The battery is positioned so tightly, it's a nightmare to remove and install it. I want to install a trickle charger, but it's gonna be a job trying to attach the trickle charger wires to the battery.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby JD » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:11 pm

I solved the battery charging problem on both of my TGBs by connecting 12" leads to the battery posts on one end and an electrical connector at the other. I was able to run the wire through the bottom of the battery box and it hangs out the bottom of the bike.

I then created a cable that has the matching end of the connector at one end and studs that are easy to grab with the battery charger clips.

It works great. In fact, Lisa's been riding her Tomos instead of the TGB this summer, and there wasn't enough charge in the TGB battery to turn it over enough times to start the engine yesterday. I tried the kick start but I was quickly running out of "kick." So I connected the battery charger to the underbike connector, and tried the electric start again. It had to crank for about 15 seconds, but it started and that was that!

jd
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:08 pm

Trying to attach an additional lead (for the battery charger) to the positive side of the battery is gonna be tough. There's only a small screw and square nut that attaches the positive lead to the battery. The screw is so small, I can't even use an alligator clip to attach the charger lead. It's a very small, sealed battery, unlike my other Honda scooters' batteries. I never had a problem attaching trickle charger leads to my other scooters' batteries. This one is gonna be a tough one to rig up.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby John » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:12 pm

Peel back some of the vinyl on the main leads and solder the battery tender leads to them. When you sell the scoot, just use your side cutters to remove the wires.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby maddog » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:21 pm

i am replacing a broken throttle cable on a chinese scoot, every panel forward of the rear panels need to come off, well i got them off now the trick is to get them on, i have replaced the stock throttle spring with a weaker one
Some people dream about speed! blink and im gone!
maddog
Net Rider

Return to Scooter Riders