Problem with starting scooter

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Problem with starting scooter

Postby krisharris » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:34 am

Hi. I own a 2007 Yamaha Jog R 50, Liquid Cooled. It has 9000km on the clock and I bought it second hand about 3 months ago when it was on 6500km.

Our town was hit by some storms about a month ago.. Normal temperatures but a LOT of rain. Ever since then, it has been a pain to start my scooter. I'm not 100% sure if it is due to the storms, but because it fit in so well time-wise, I presume it is!

I cannot start it by kickstart, and have to hold down the electric start while revving for about 8 seconds before it starts (which is very embarrassing when people are around me!!)

The strange thing is.. if I have been riding it and stop at a shop or any other quick stop for anything less than about half an hour, when I get back on it, it starts first time with no problem (which I presume is because it's still warm?)

There is no problems whatsoever when driving it, but I am worried that things could only get worse so would like to get to the bottom of it.

I don't know much about the mechanical side of things so does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?
krisharris
Net Rider

re: Problem with starting scooter

Postby oilyhans » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:50 am

start with a new plug and clean your air filter

then look at your auto choke & make sure you do not
have a air leak if you still have problems
starting your scooter

oilyhans
Adly, TGB & TNG Scooters
MRP Racing Parts
Fulmer Helmets