Tomos Nitro 150

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Tomos Nitro 150

Postby wardie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Has anyone driven or owned one ofd these? Ike can you chime in on this model? Wardie
wardie
Regional Rider

re: Tomos Nitro 150

Postby Ike » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:01 am

Yes, i have had a Tomos Nitro 150 in my possession for three years. It now has 3,200 miles on it. It has been totally trouble free so far. Has never failed to start. Still has original battery. Has only had normal maintenance done on it.
At least 95% of the miles have been put on it with two people on board. I rode it on the Tail of the Dragon, over the Smoky mountains, the Blue Ridge Pky and all over down there. At any altitude, in any temperature, rain or shine, it has not missed a beat.
I was very skeptical about Tomos Scooters at first, but i am sold now. I love this Scooter more each time I ride it.
And unlike most of the Chinese scooters out there, Tomos does have most of the parts for their scooters, including the plastic and they have service manuals for them.
The only problem i have had is with the fuel gage. It is flakey. When you fill the tank it stays on empty and later it will go to full and stay there til it half empty again. I could replace the sending unit and fix that if i wasn`t
so lazy.
Again, if all Tomos Scooters are as good as this one has been, and considering the cost, parts and service, from a company that has been here for over 50 years, I would put a Tomos against any chinese scooter on the market.
I never thought i would ever say that , but its true

Ike
Only God can make a tree....
and only Tomos can make a Moped!
Ike
Master Regional Rider

Postby JD » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:04 am

Jeez, Ike, you'd think you were selling them or something.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby Ike » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:29 am

I haven`t sold the first one yet lol.
Ike
Master Regional Rider

Postby Kevin Harrell » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:41 pm

I think that I read somewhere that the Tomos scooters were made in Tiwan by the same people who make the SYM scooters. Any truth to that??
Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the war room.
Kevin Harrell
Regional Rider

Postby JD » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:10 pm

You read it in this forum. Made by Sym in China, though, not Taiwan.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby Ike » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:48 am

Well, I just returned from another Scooter ride through the Smoky Mtns. this past weekend. Maggie and I and my neighbors, Kelly and Nancy and Nancy`s dad , Tim, decided at the last minute to head down there again.
We rode 131 miles Saturday and 239 miles Sunday.
On Sunday we rode from Pigeon Forge over to Townsend and down to the Foothills Pky. This was a fabulous 20 mile ride on top of the mountains with some spectacular views along the way.
Then we hit 129 and went west over to 72 and 72 over to 411 and on 411 for about 3 miles and then hit 360 at Venore. We stayed on 360 down to Telico Plains. Here we we hit the Cherohala Skyway. This was a 55 mile ride through the mountains at over 5000 feet most of the way. It was beautiful all the way to Robbinsville.
At Robbinsville we hit 129 again and went north up to Deals Gap. We gassed up there and Maggie had to shop for t shirts again!
We then went on the Tail of the Dragon and back over to the Foothills Pky. And back over to Townsend and back to the Motel in Pigeon Forge.
We left the Motel at 8:00 am and got back at 8:00 pm. After 12 hours and 239 miles we were all very tired . We lucked out this trip and never got in rain at anytime in two days of riding. Thats the first time i ever rode down there and not got in rain at least one time.
And , as usual the Tomos Nitro and my neighbor`s $499.00 Scooters made the trip without a problem of any kind. And the Tomos had two people on it all the way. It now has 3700 totally trouble free miles on it.The Tomos may blow up the next time out, who knows? But for the past three years, it couldn`t have done better.

Ike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ike
Master Regional Rider

Postby Ike » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:54 am

pic 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ike
Master Regional Rider

Postby Ike » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:18 pm

Well, i hate to keep bragging, but that cheap Tomos Nitro is still going strong.
Will have 5, 000 totally trouble free miles very soon. I love this Scooter!
Wish i could say the same thing about my all American Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine with 250hours on it. What a piece of junk.

Ike
Ike
Master Regional Rider

Postby tortoise » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:47 am

Gitsum review link.

Engine comment.
tortoise
Net Rider

Postby birdmove » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:48 am

I'm not surprised about the quality of your Tomos, if it's made by SYM. We have a SYM HD200 coming up on 5000 miles, and it's just a great scooter. We also have a Kymco People 150. The HD200 is made in Taiwan, as is the Kymco. I understand the Lance Cali Classic is also made by SYM in China, and it gets good reviews.
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
birdmove
Net Rider

Return to Scooter Riders