replace a scooter drive belt

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

replace a scooter drive belt

Postby Elekrik » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:10 pm

Trying to replace a scooter drive belt. It is a Roketa Scooter Maui-50 Engine Type 1P39QMB (49.9cc GY6). How you you hold the clutch bell in place? Some type of clamp or tool, that would maybe fit into the holes in front. There are 6 holes about 1/2" in dia. around the nut. Any other kind of way to hold the thing in place? Thought about trying a Strap Filter Wrench from Advance Auto, might be able to use to hold clutch bell. Looked at some YouTube videos. They claim it's easy. Maybe so for some models, or once I've figured it out and done it one time. Any help, suggestion, info about some tool, anything, will be much appreciated. Thanks
Elekrik
Net Rider

re: replace a scooter drive belt

Postby John » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:44 pm

There are u-tube videos of changing GY6 belts on 50 cc scoots. Easiest way is to use a impact gun and spin the nut off that way on the front sheave. Can also be walked off by opening the rear clutch bell and pushing the belt to the bottom then rolling it off the front.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Elekrik » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:27 am

Thanks John. I'm gaining my mechanic skills with this scooter. The belt sort of disintegrated. So getting it off is not the problem. Getting the pulleys off, wow, and then prying the clutch pulley apart. But, I'll get it!?

The drive belt is probably one thing to add to the list to look at occasionally. This one had almost 3500 miles on it. Is that typical? I know there is a lot of things that can effect that, but I thought it would last longer. Probably better to change it when it shows signs of wear. I'm not sure I would recognize that anyway.

I really like the little scooter... when it's running right. And for a while that's all I did. change oil, clean spark plug. What's next?
Elekrik
Net Rider

Postby maddog » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:58 am

after you take off the front half of the front pulley off- squeeze the belt this will spread the rear pulley, when you put the new belt on it goes on the rear pulley then squeeze the belt enough to get it on the front shaft then squeeze more to get it onto the boss. other things to check are the weights for flat spots, worn ramp guides, twist the rear pulley apart- ooops you can't do that unless you have a 1-1/2 in. 12 point socket and impact gun and know how to take off the center spring, if you don't grease this part it will chew up your belt- ther is more but you need the tools to do it.
Some people dream about speed! blink and im gone!
maddog
Net Rider

Postby Elekrik » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:04 am

The new belt is on, seems to be working fine, I rode around a few miles. The tips you guys gave me were really helpful. I found a good impact wrench at Harbor Freight for $50. And from Enviromoto, a clamp to hold the front pulley so the impact wrench don't spin the motor, another $20. I found that I could just press my foot against the clutch bell enough for the hammer in the impact wrench to kick in. Both came off easily. Cleaned everything up. What a dirty job. Gonna wear a dust mask next time. Kinda tough wedging the belt onto the rear pulley. Worried about over tightening. I figure I would have paid somebody (if I could have found somebody) as much as I spend in tools to do this job. Now, I've got the tools and ready for next time. What I've learned, is pull that cover off once in a while and check the belt for wear. Maybe replace it before it breaks, probably easier. Thanks again guys.
Elekrik
Net Rider

Return to Scooter Riders