looking to buy my first scooter

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

looking to buy my first scooter

Postby Vince » Wed May 30, 2012 7:58 am

I am looking to buy a scooter for running around town and short rides on weekends.

What I need to know is what size scooter should I get to fit me.

I am 6'4" 330 lbs

I spoke briefly with a guy from a Honda dealership and he was insisting i needed the silverwing. while it is a very nice scooter .. i really don't want to spend almost 10 grand on my first scooter.

could i get away with something smaller engine-wise?

something in maybe the 250cc range.
Vince
Net Rider

re: looking to buy my first scooter

Postby John » Wed May 30, 2012 10:14 am

Look at the Kymco lineup. Rock solid scoots made in Taiwan,not mainland China.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Vince » Wed May 30, 2012 12:48 pm

those look nice .. and the prices are a bit more reasonable, but can I get away with something in the 200cc range ... or will i bog it down so bad I would be better off walking?
Vince
Net Rider

Postby JD » Wed May 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Silverwing is a great bike, but you don't need it.

Agree with John on the Kymco bikes, but here's something else to consider: Genuine Scooters (John can't get Genuine in Canada, I believe.)

The Genuine Buddy is becoming one of the most popular scooters in the U.S. The bike is made in Taiwan by PGO, and distributed by Genuine in the U.S. They have dealers all over, the ownership body is extremely enthusiastic (check out this forum: Modern Buddy), they have all kinds of after-market parts, and they run and run.

We have two Buddy 125s. They have more than enough power for getting around town, but I weigh a lot less than you do. My wife and I scooted around Washington DC two-up on one Buddy for a week, and our total weight was about 330 lb. The Buddy did fine in the city, but probably wouldn't have done any better than 40-45 mph with both of us on board (it does about 60 mph with me, alone). If you need more than that, then you ought to consider the Buddy 170i, or even the Genuine Blur 220.

I cannot say enough good things about these Buddy scooters and, no, I don't work for the company or get commission! LOL! You just need to make sure that the frame is comfortable for a guy of your size.

If you don't like the Kymco or Genuine stuff, you should also consider SYM.

Stay away from most of the mainland Chinese stuff. Parts and service can be iffy.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby Vince » Wed May 30, 2012 2:17 pm

JD thanks for all the great info.

Good to know about the mainland china stuff.
Vince
Net Rider

Postby maddog » Wed May 30, 2012 7:52 pm

I belive Canada is strict on mopeds so not much choice on them, check out the cpi-gtr 50, this scoot looks and rides like a mototcycle, 2 models are offered and for the money no other moped even comes close!
Some people dream about speed! blink and im gone!
maddog
Net Rider

Postby Tab » Wed May 30, 2012 8:25 pm

I would recommend a SYM HD200. I've got one...amazing bike with a 70mph+ top end and 75mpg. Large wheels and good power/suspension.
Tab
Master Regional Rider

Return to Scooter Riders