Honda Elite 80 non-start condition

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Honda Elite 80 non-start condition

Postby mopedlar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:10 pm

My 1986 Honda Elite 80 suddenly decided she didn't want to start up anymore. The carb is clean and in perfect working order, fuel is pumping to the carb, the bowl has gas in it, and there is plenty of spark, but she just won't start. If I keep trying for about 5 minutes of hitting the starter button, it will finally start. After she starts and warms up, she runs perfectly fine and will restart if I shut her down and try to start her up again. Once the bike cools down, it's back to square one again.

What could the problem be? Valve clearance too tight/loose? I can't think of anything else that could be causing this. Anyone?
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

re: Honda Elite 80 non-start condition

Postby mountainmoped » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Maybe CDI or timing coil? If valves are too loose you hear a lot of clatter. If they are too tight the engine will shut off when hot and start back up easily when it cools off.
Bryan
mountainmoped
Master Regional Rider

Postby tomos03 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:36 pm

That has an electric choke and if it doesn't work right it will act as you are saying.
tomos03
Net Rider

Postby mopedlar » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Thanks for the input. I bought the carb brand new from Honda 3 years ago, so I doubt it's the bystarter (choke). Rather than replacing a bunch of expensive parts that may or may not be bad, I think I'm gonna let my motorcycle mechanic buddy troubleshoot this one for me.

Thanks again!
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:35 am

Update....my mechanic called me today re. my '86 Honda Elite 80. The problems were a partially clogged pilot jet, tight valve clearances and a semi-worn out spark plug.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Return to Scooter Riders