GPS Suction Cup Mount on Scooter...

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

GPS Suction Cup Mount on Scooter...

Postby mopedlar » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:33 am

Anyone ever mount their GPS by using the suction cup mount on the dash of their scooter? I tried it yesterday and it seemed pretty solid. Just curious whether a good jarring from a pothole could cause the GPS mount or the GPS itself, to fall off the dash.

I installed a bicycle GPS mount to the mirror stem on my Honda Elite, but I have a hard time seeing the screen due to glare on the clear plastic window of the case. If I attach the GPS using the suction cup mount, it obviously won't be protected from the elements, but I could see the screen a lot clearer.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

re: GPS Suction Cup Mount on Scooter...

Postby John » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Just carry some zip lok plastic bags to keep the GPS in if wet. Also fashion some kind of tether to the unit as it WILLl come loose. I even use a tether with the RAM mount for my GPS on the Burger..
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:11 pm

John, thanks for the advice. Now I just need to figure out how to "tether" the GPS to the bike. I would probably want to tether both the mount and the GPS unit to the mirror stem. Any thoughts as to how to do it?
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby mountainmoped » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:49 pm

I use an industrial grade velcro to secure my GPS on my scooters. I also have a lanyard over the mirror someting goes wrong. I have used the super velcro for 15 years to secure my ham radios in my vehicles without drilling holes in or under the dash. The velcro is available in Radio Shack stores.
Bryan
mountainmoped
Master Regional Rider

Postby JD » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:35 am

I STRONGLY discourage the use of the suction cup on a bike. I was using using such on my scooter a couple of years ago and a good bump sent it flying. The spot to which it was attached was about as good as they get: The completely flat, clean face of my speedometer. But scoots have short wheelbases and get bumped around a lot more than cars and trucks, and I don't think the suction cups are up to the task.

I recently purchased a Ram Mount that attaches to the mirror stem on my Buddy and it works beautifully. For my Tomos, I bought a mount that attaches directly to the handlebars and tightens down with a thumb screw. That works perfectly as well. The only reason I didn't use that on the Buddy as well is because the Buddy doesn't have any exposed handlebars.

I'll show you the Ram Mount when I see you next week in Glen Arbor.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:15 am

Here's some pics of the GPS mount I'm using now. I think it was made to mount on conventional handlebars, but I was able to securely mount it on the mirror stem. It's nice, but the clear window in the case causes glare on the GPS screen, making it hard to see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby John » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:55 am

What make of mount is that Larry?
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:13 am

John, I have no idea. There's absolutely no markings on the mount. I do know that Kim ordered it through improvementscatalog.com. I checked the site and they don't appear to be selling it anymore.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Return to Scooter Riders