Kim's new Kymco!

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Kim's new Kymco!

Postby mopedlar » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:40 pm

I finally broke down and bought Kim a brand new scooter. I surprised Kim with it this afternoon. It's a 2013 Kymco Like 200i. It's 163cc and fast as all get out. This is the first brand new scooter I've ever bought. All of my other scoots are 80's and '90's vintage Honda Elites.

The only thing that kinda sucks is the bike has to go back to the dealer at 186 miles to have all the fluids changed and the valves adjusted. That will probably be next week as we'll easily put on 186 miles by next weekend. I just wish the Kymco dealer was closer, as it's a 30 mile drive each way.

I just hope we'll have as much luck with this scoot as we have had with our vintage Honda Elites.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

re: Kim's new Kymco!

Postby John » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:07 pm

Give Kim the congratulations from one Kymco owner to another. Mine has been rock solid and has not been back to the selling dealer since it took up residence in one of Johns' sheds. Other than fluid changes by John and tire changes no other work has been needed. Hope you have great enjoyment with the new scooter, Rena
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby JD » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:33 pm

Mazel tov!

That looks like a perfect bike for Kim. I look forward to seeing her blast up the hills on it.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:33 am

Kim said thanks. She is very excited about her new bike and can't wait to bring it to our next trip to MI.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby John » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:55 am

Don't think I have seen one of those in Canada. Nice retro look Kim.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:30 am

Well, Kim took her maiden voyage on her new Kymco this past weekend. She loved the bike but experienced a good amount of wind buffeting at speeds over 50 mph. The air is coming up from the foot area and hitting her on the chin, causing her head to shake up and down. Any ideas?
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby John » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:36 am

Low windshield or fly catcher to push the air higher.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby JD » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:42 am

Not uncommon problem with the cowls on these scooters. The windflow comes right at your face. Windshield is often de rigueur.

The other option is to fasten Kim's head to the handlebars with a bungie cord or cinch strap to keep it from bouncing up and down. Kim might prefer the other solution, however.

jdl
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby tomos03 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:57 pm

Congratulations, great looking scoot. Looks good in your line up of bikes also.
Easy fix on the air buff. Don't go over 50 mph. This is hard to do but it can be done. Not. Get a windshield and all will be good. Jeff
tomos03
Net Rider

Postby John » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:36 am

Puig or Givi make them for the Kymco. Mount off the stems of the mirrors I believe.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:02 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. I know they sell a windshield for them. I'll check into it this week.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby wardie » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:36 pm

Way to go Lar Kymco is an awesome brand with a great reputation. Bet Kim can smoke you now! :) Wardie
wardie
Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:10 am

Wardie, she can't smoke me when I'm riding my Honda Elite 250. Her bike tops out at around 55 mph, while my Elite 250 does a solid 65 mph.

Kim's put on over 100 miles on the bike so far, and everything seems tight and right.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby moebobbie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:22 am

Congrats Kim!!! Beautiful Ride.... Moe
Owner of a 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec, a nice little 1995 Tomos Targa TTLX (Baba Looey) and now a very pretty 2008 Tomos LX (Bunny)
moebobbie
Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:59 am

Well, I decided to get with the times and ordered a new Kymco Like 200LX. It's identical to Kim's scooter but has custom blue/cream paint scheme and more chrome. I'll have actual pics of the bike next week after I pick it up from the Dealer.

In order to make room in my garage for the new bike, I'm selling Kim's old 1984 Honda Elite 125 and my 2004 Honda Metropolitan. If you know anyone who is interested in either of these bikes, let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Next

Return to Scooter Riders