85 Yamaha MS50 your thoughts on fault Please.

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

85 Yamaha MS50 your thoughts on fault Please.

Postby crankorange80 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi. I recently bought a 1985 Yamaha MS50 in a nice condition. Its not a1 condition but cosmetically its not bad. ie all the chrome shines no rust on the frame or wheels. But! just because a bike or car looks good doesn't always mean its completely mechanically ok.

I rode it for the first time yesterday. It starts ok when cold but I have noticed once the engine has reached running temp restarting can be abit of a pain. It takes a good few kicks to get the engine running. I would expect one or at the most two firm kicks would have the engine ticking over but I need to continually kick it without stopping at least 8 times before anything positive happenens.

Visually the bike seems to have little signs of everday wear consdering its age, except for one place. The rubber on the kickstart. Looking at it more closely I see the rubber on the kick start is more worn than I would expect to see in this fair condtion considering the bike is duel start both kick and electric so im thinking perhaps this issue has been a long standing problem where the past owner never fixed judging by the wear of rubber in the kick compaired to the overall condition of the bike.

One thing for sure. I see that the battery needs replacing since it doesn't hold much of a charge. Im only ghessing but would a poor perfoming battery have some type of effect on restarting the engine when hot using the kick start?
crankorange80
Net Rider

re: 85 Yamaha MS50 your thoughts on fault Please.

Postby sodneic » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:55 pm

Hello there, just joined up with the MRA, I know your question about your MS50 was some time ago, but did you ever get it solved, do you even still own it? I have two of them, my favourite bikes in the garage! Not too far away from you in Berkshire, all the best, Chris.
sodneic
Net Rider

Postby John » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:34 am

You need a good battery in these things to make the CDI perform properly. Cheap fix even in the UK.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Re: re: 85 Yamaha MS50 your thoughts on fault Please.

Postby crankorange80 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:21 pm

sodneic wrote:Hello there, just joined up with the MRA, I know your question about your MS50 was some time ago, but did you ever get it solved, do you even still own it? I have two of them, my favourite bikes in the garage! Not too far away from you in Berkshire, all the best, Chris.

Hi criss, i bought a brand knew battery and it seems better however. when placing the key in he start postion i have to open a throttle and keep it held open for a while and when simultaneously switching the key from start postion to run postion. ive noticed if the engine hasn't been started for a number of days, once started there is far too much blue smoke from the exaust but once up to running temp it ok. ive have a number of 70's and 80's era mopeds and you can tend to get a feel for them when they are not set up correctly or when there running not as they should. this bike is exelent condition but i don't know enough about it. if it where my suziki fz50 and could almost take it a part and rebuild it myself as i have learnt about it over time, but with the ms50 i almost no nothing about it. any help offered is always welcomed with thanks.

Regards,

Andrew.
crankorange80
Net Rider

Postby tomos03 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:45 am

One of 2 things come to mind for your problem. If it has a auto oil system it should have a check valve that keeps the oil from leaking into the engine when it is not running. That check valve could be bad. Next is fuel getting into the engine from a bad petcock,float or needle and seat in the carb. The gas evaporates leaving the oil.
tomos03
Net Rider

Return to Scooter Riders