Very Lucky and Ironic......

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Very Lucky and Ironic......

Postby mopedlar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:52 am

I've put around 250 miles on my 2006 Kymco People 250 since getting her back from my buddy's shop last Friday. I was riding to his shop yesterday to ask him a quick question and my bike died just as I was pulling into his parking lot. After a quick once over, my buddy determined that the fuel pump must have gone south. I ordered a new pump from my Kymco dealer and should have her back on the road sometime next week.

The irony of this story is that my bike died at the very place it needed to die. I had done a lot of riding in PA just the other day, and if it would have failed then, I would have been seriously stranded far from my home. How did my bike know to die at exactly the moment I was pulling into my buddy's shop? Very strange.....
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

re: Very Lucky and Ironic......

Postby John » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:39 am

Never heard of the 250 pump quitting, will need to investigate. Nice it wasn't FI. but vacuum.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:59 am

My mechanic thinks it went south because the bike sat so long. It really can't be anything else.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby JD » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:54 am

I wonder if the same thing happened to this one?

How much is the fuel pump?
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:16 am

JD, the pump was around $54. That bike is a sweet deal if all it needs is a fuel pump and/or carb cleaning.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby JD » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:49 am

Is the bike a good two-up rider? I'd consider getting a larger scooter if it worked well for the both of us. Has Kim ridden with you on the new Kymco yet?

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:28 pm

I've never ridden it two up, but I easily got up to 65 mph by myself. It could have done more if I had let it. I wouldn't ride double on the highway with it, but it could surely carry you and Lisa at a decent speed on non-highway roads (55mph and less). I'd grab it if I was closer.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby John » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:53 am

If the saddle is the same as the 250 Bet & Win you can ride 2 up. You will want a back rest for the passenger though. Slightly cramped but can be done on the highway at highway speeds. Been there , done that. The 250 is what we take when RV'ing for transportation. Picture at White Mountain, Lake Placid NY.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Here's the bike. The seat is elevated in the rear. I plan on getting a trunk with a padded backrest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:46 pm

I picked up the fuel pump this morning, dropped it off at my buddy's shop and he had the bike ready to go a couple of hours later. The fuel pump was definitely the problem as the bike runs like a champ again.

JD, I'm fairly certain that the other bike on CL had the same problem.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby mountainmoped » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:32 am

I have seen a number of vacuum operated fuel pump failures the last 2 years. I suspect the ethanol in the gasoline is damaging the diaphram in the pumps. I started replacing them with the Mukini fuel pumps used in ultralight aircraft with Rotax and Cayuna engines. I pay about $30.00 dealer cost on them and can get rebuild kits for $9.00. I used them for many years on ultralights with no problems.

http://www.rotaxparts.net/scripts/prodV ... roduct=548
Bryan
mountainmoped
Master Regional Rider

Postby John » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:28 am

Good info Bryan, found a Kart place here that I can get the pump for $24 and rebuild kits for $10. Going to put one on the shelf for future, may never need it. Fingers crossed. Definitely the gas with alcohol is causing the problem. I have taken to using Shell's top grade here which is minus the alcohol.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Return to Scooter Riders