Need some advice on a 08 Tao Tao VIP

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Need some advice on a 08 Tao Tao VIP

Postby Nathan.v.allen78 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:34 pm

I have a 2008 Tao Tao VIP. I am having problems cranking it. When I try to crank it all it does is makes a whistling sound from the relay. I thought the relay may be bad, so I replaced it. After replacing now the relay just makes a clicking sound. I changed out the starter motor, same thing, it just clicks. I put in a new CDI and Coil and it just clicks. Finally I just put a brand new fully charged battery in it and it still just clicks. Does anyone know anything else I can try? I am starting to think I am putting more money into this bike than it's worth.
Nathan.v.allen78
Net Rider

re: Need some advice on a 08 Tao Tao VIP

Postby Tab » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:38 pm

Is the motor locked up?
Tab
Master Regional Rider

Postby oilyhans » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:37 pm

so will it turn over when you try kick start it ?

if not you might be locked up due to oil in the cylinder...

usually the clicking means a bad/low battery or dirty
cables or ground

oilyhans
Adly, TGB & TNG Scooters
MRP Racing Parts
Fulmer Helmets
Kelly Blue Book Contributor on Scooter prices
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart
oilyhans
Net Rider

Postby Nathan.v.allen78 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:32 pm

The motor isn't locked up. I can run a wire off the hot side of the battery straight to the starter motor and it turns the motor over. When I turn the motor over running the straight wire the bike I'm not getting fire.
Nathan.v.allen78
Net Rider

Re: re: Need some advice on a 08 Tao Tao VIP

Postby tortoise » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:01 pm

Nathan.v.allen78 wrote:I'm not getting fire.

If no spark . . test stator.
tortoise
Net Rider

Postby Nathan.v.allen78 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:21 pm

Okay my motor isn't locked up. I can kick it and the motor turns over. I have replaced the stator, CDI, Coil, Relay, and Starter. The motor turns over when I use the electric start but I still have no fire. My multimeter broke so all I have is a test light. I put the test light on the plug for the stator and it barley lights up. The two other wires coming out the stator doesnt light my tester up at all.

Any suggestions. I do have a new multimeter coming it will be here in a couple of days.
Nathan.v.allen78
Net Rider

Postby tortoise » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Fuel, compression, and properly timed spark are required to fire. Have you verified spark and compression? Sometimes a flywheel-crankshaft woodruff key will shear and alter trigger coil timing. Insert a plastic drinking straw into the spark plug hole, rotate the piston to top-dead-center, and verify flywheel timing mark alignment.

Tao Tao has had some issues . . cracked pistons . . rear wheel casting defect.
tortoise
Net Rider

Postby Nathan.v.allen78 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:08 pm

There is no spark, as far as compression goes, I don't have a tester for that. I did put my finger over the spark plug hole and tried to turn the bike over and it pushed my finger off the hole. I haven't checked the fly wheel timing mark I will do that first thing in the morning. From what I can tell I do have compression, Changed Spark Plug, starter, CDI, Coil, and stator. Im just not getting fire to the plug.
Nathan.v.allen78
Net Rider

Postby John » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:39 am

Take the handlebar kill switch apart and clean the contacts, check the brake switches at the levers for continuity. Is the side stand switch closing when put up? Are all connections at the key switch still attached?
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby JD » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:39 pm

I used to have a moped that would not run if the headlight bulb was out because they were on the same circuit. In fact, there was a toggle switch on the underside of the headlight housing that allowed me to bypass the bulb in such situations.

The electrical harness on the Tao Tao is, undoubtedly, more complicated since it includes a battery and starter. Just for the heck of it, though, check your light bulbs.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Return to Scooter Riders