Diagnosis Time for the Brain Trust

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Diagnosis Time for the Brain Trust

Postby JD » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:56 pm

I've got my suspicions about what is causing this, but I'll ask the experts to opine:

My Buddy 125 has about 6,500 miles on it. Engine starts and runs fine. When I twist the throttle, the bike starts to roll forward for a split second and then it suddenly lunges forward although something "catches." It occurs regardless of how long the bike has been running if I start from a full stop.

This behavior started late last year and I noticed that it's fairly pronounced as I was prepping it for the season today. It's not an engine lag. I'm pretty sure it's a transmission issue (worn rollers?)

Thoughts, anyone?

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Re: Diagnosis Time for the Brain Trust

Postby tortoise » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:38 pm

JD wrote:Thoughts, anyone?

Perhaps those with telepathic abilities will respond . . or YOU could inspect the CVT drive elements to determine the deficiency. Stock replacement parts are relatively inexpensive.
tortoise
Net Rider

re: Diagnosis Time for the Brain Trust

Postby tomos03 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:17 pm

JD, I would say rollers. As the miles add up on them they get flat spots. My Buddy was doing this and I changed the rollers and that fixed it. Jeff
tomos03
Net Rider

Postby John » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:51 pm

Change up to new rollers, also you will need the guides that fit on the ends of the ramp plate. Might as well do the belt at the same time. Keep the old belt as a emergency one in case for any reason new one fails on a ride. Buddy parts should be inexpensive. Your other Buddy may be nearing the same situation so get it done too. Thats my brain fart for you, have fun!
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby JD » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:44 am

Thanks for the info, guys. How big of a project is this? Having never seen the inside of a scooter's CVT, I cannot even picture what's involved.

I don't want to keep the bike off the road any longer than I have to this summer because I've lot a lot of riding planned, so I'm wondering if I should just get my local scooter wrench to do this for me.

Remember, not ALL of us are retired yet. LOL!

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby John » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:07 am

Not comfortable doing then let local scoot shop handle it. I use a impact gun to take the front nut off the CVT. Google roller and belt change on 125/150 cc scooters. Will give you an idea what your looking at for degree of difficulty.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:39 am

MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:53 am

JD, just for sh*** and grins, I watched the video. It was pretty good. The only thing I would recommend is taking careful note of the orientation of all the little parts once you remove the outer pulley. If it were me, I'd give it a shot. Worse case scenario, if you find you can't do it, you can always still bring it to the scooter repair shop. It would definitely help to have an impact gun/driver to remove the front pulley nut. A motorcycle lift like I have would also help to get the bike off the ground and be able to work on it at close to eye level. I hate working on bikes on the ground.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby John » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:33 am

Just a watch out. when putting the belt back on rotate the sheaves and get the belt to ride high. Pull the clutch bell (rear) in to get the belt down in the pulley. Torque the belt when not down low in the front sheave, if you do your nut is not tight but just binding the faces on the belt.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:32 am

John, I know exactly what you're talking about, but for the average lay person, it's hard to understand until you crack that thing open and play around with everything. My Kymco People 250 has 9K miles on it. At what mileage should I change the rollers? I changed the belt last year. I should have done the rollers when I had it all apart but I didn't think of it.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby mountainmoped » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:31 pm

Rollers are cheap. If you are replacing the belt you may as well replace the rollers since you are already in there.
Bryan
mountainmoped
Master Regional Rider

Postby John » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:12 pm

Rena's Kymco B&W has 19000 miles right now. Performance hasn't changed enough to warrant a change yet. Belt is in the trunk, need to pick up other bits to have on hand. So what is right, who knows. Didn't do the Burgman till I had 18000+ on it last summer. Belt still was in spec.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby tomos03 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:42 pm

The service tec at the Cincinnati Buddy shop told me the 125 Buddy is good for 20k on a belt. He also said 6-8k on rollers. My buddy was acting up and at about 6k. I put new rollers in it. That fixed my problem. Jeff
tomos03
Net Rider

Postby JD » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:09 pm

I'm going to have the shop do it. I don't have time to screw around with it right now. I suspect the rollers may have worn a little on the early side because Lisa and I were doing a lot of two-up riding when we were in DC a couple of years ago. Sounds like I should wait on the belt, though.

Thanks for the help, gentlemen.
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby John » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:42 am

Good move JD. now the option is lighter rollers better acceleration or heavier and more top end. Now wait for it, a combination of every other one!!!!
Don't know what stock weight is though. Jeff you have that?
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Next

Return to Scooter Riders