Diagnosis Time for the Brain Trust

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

re: Diagnosis Time for the Brain Trust

Postby mopedlar » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:48 am

JD, even though your belt may be good for 20K miles, if you're gonna do the rollers, I would replace the belt.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby John » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:24 am

Hell, did a search for you. ScooterWorks.... 18 x 14 mm, weight per roller 11.5 gms stock
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby JD » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:36 am

I'll just stick with the stock weights. The Buddy's got plenty of acceleration and top speed is sufficient for any road on which I'd take it.

Unlike every bike I've owned up to this one, I haven't felt any need to mess with the stock configuration. We were all trying to make the mopeds do things they weren't designed to do. This Buddy gives me exactly what I wanted right out of the box.

It's kinda refreshing for me to treat it as transportation instead of an ongoing project. Don't forget that I have the mechanical skills and talent of a dog trainer. :)
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby John » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:43 am

Woof.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Re: Diagnosis Time for the Brain Trust

Postby JD » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:44 am

tortoise wrote:
JD wrote:Thoughts, anyone?

Perhaps those with telepathic abilities will respond . . or YOU could inspect the CVT drive elements to determine the deficiency. Stock replacement parts are relatively inexpensive.

Sorry, I just saw this response. Thank you for the link, but you presume much, e.g., I would know how to get to the rollers and I would be able to tell the difference between a roller with "deficiency" and one without. I don't, and I can't.

Not all of the participants here are experienced scooter mechanics. That's one of the reasons I frequent this site: Much of the time I don't know what the hell I'm doing. The things that I HAVE learned came primarily from the helpful participants.

And I think a couple of them actually are telepathic. :-)
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Re: Diagnosis Time for the Brain Trust

Postby tortoise » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:24 pm

JD wrote:you presume much, e.g., I would know how to get to the rollers and I would be able to tell the difference between a roller with "deficiency" and one without. I don't, and I can't.

Ignorance is curable! Can't fix lazy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrP6nlqks8I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGECqIyp168

http://vimeo.com/5377019
tortoise
Net Rider

Postby John » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:42 pm

Harsh words.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby JD » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:28 pm

Well, Tortoise, you may be right.

I suppose I could solve my scooter problems strictly by perusing Youtube videos instead of using this forum. I have a quaint, old-fashioned penchant for personal contact with people I respect and trust. I suppose that makes me lazy. Since my laziness is irreparable, I'm darned lucky that these people are my friends and are happy to provide me with the benefit of their experience and knowledge.

I apologize if my sloth offended you, and hope that the effort you took to take two swipes at me didn't take too much out of your day.
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby maddog » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:27 pm

You guys fogot about the rear pulley, it has 3 pins that ride in S grooves, if the grooves wear do to lack of grease the trans will bog, i grease mine every yr. you will have to take off the clutch and look for bumps on the collar if so the unit is shot if not take off the collar and grease.
Some people dream about speed! blink and im gone!
maddog
Net Rider

Previous

Return to Scooter Riders