Scooters have overtaken mopeds

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Scooters have overtaken mopeds

Postby pedman » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:29 pm

Based on web searches, scooters are more popular than mopeds. They are more affordable, faster, and more available. Maybe goodbye moped?
pedman
Site Admin

Re: Scooters have overtaken mopeds

Postby mopedlar » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:30 am

I'm not sure of the national trend, but more and more folks here (at MRA) have definitely transitioned over to scooters. I don't think mopeds will ever entirely go away, largely in part due to the greater availability of stock and aftermarket parts to keep people's mopeds going for years to come. The main reason Kim and I switched over to scooters is to be able to take hills better and to safely keep up with traffic.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby mountainmoped » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:04 pm

I ONLY SELL ABOUT 1 PEDAL MOPED A YEAR NOW (DAMN CAPS LOCK). I sell a lot of 50cc scooters as people who have lost their licenses, due to multiple DUIs, are allowed to ride them in North and South Carolina and in Georgia with their probation officers approval (isn't legal in GA, but it happens). Pedal mopeds are still very popular on college campuses in Georgia and with people that carry them on the back of their RVs. I sold about 30 scooters this year about evenly split between 50cc and 150cc models. I have 2 new old stock 50cc TGB two cycle scooters that I have been keeping for Jeanie and myself. Jeanie usually rides her 250cc Honda Big Ruckus and I ride whatever I have at the time.
Bryan
mountainmoped
Master Regional Rider

Postby ItsLookingUp » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:48 pm

What brands of scooters are you selling? Arenthere manuals we should host?
ItsLookingUp
Master Regional Rider

Postby mountainmoped » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:37 am

i'm SELLING TGB scooters, Icebear Scooters and Trikes, Gator scooters and Sachs motorcycles, Very little demand for Tomos (SYM China) scooters as they are overpriced. I sold Keeway scooters until they went out of business about a month ago. Martin Racing Performance has also recently disappeared.

I have a number of manuals covering 2 stroke 50cc scooters, QMB 139 50cc 4 stroke scooters and GY6 150cc scooters in PDF form. I can email them to Lenny or Tab.
Bryan
mountainmoped
Master Regional Rider

Postby mountainmoped » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:46 am

When Steamboat moved from mopeds to electric bicycles he sent me a bunch of repair manuals to be put on here. I just found them---a lot of good info. It all needs to be scanned.
Bryan
mountainmoped
Master Regional Rider

Return to Scooter Riders