Kymco w/sidecar

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Kymco w/sidecar

Postby mopedlar » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:17 pm

I recently saw this Kymco Like 200 (identical to mine) w/sidecar for sale on CL. Personally, I don't think it has enough power to safely transport a passenger, but it is cool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Re: Kymco w/sidecar

Postby mountainmoped » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:31 pm

Lar,

2 years ago I put a Cozy sidecar on Wolfhound's 151cc TGB Laser. The Cozy is all metal and very heavy. Top speed on level ground is a little over 50 mph and on hills can drop below 40. It isn't fast enough for highway use but would be fine to use around town. We have a lot of steep hills around here---it might do better in Florida. I believe a good 200cc could handle the Cozy in most situations (but not on a highway).

In October I put a Tow-pac on Wolfhound's new 170i Buddy. He said it didn't effect performance in any way and he has been very pleased with it. The Tow-pac is very well made and went on quickly with no modification to the scooter. I'm sure Wolfhound will jump in and tell you his observations. It allows him to ride even though he has problems with his legs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bryan
mountainmoped
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:20 pm

Bryan, thanks for the information. I wouldn't hesitate to bolt one up to my Kymco Grand Vista 250 or my People 250, but I don't think my Kymco Like 200 (actually 163cc) would be a good candidate for a sidecar. It just doesn't have the torque and stability at higher speeds (over 50 mph) that my 250cc scoots have. Like I said, I still think it looks really cool. Thanks again for the pic and your expert insight.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby mountainmoped » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:00 pm

I dislike sidecar rigs because of the strange way they handle. You can't lean so you have to muscle them around curves. When you start off they pull to the right and when you brake they pull to the left, A couple of weeks ago I saw a new Ural sidecar rig. The sidecar wheel was driven via a live axle that connected to the rear wheel of the Ural. It also had a disc brake on the sidecar. The owner said it was more stable when starting off and stopping.
Bryan
mountainmoped
Master Regional Rider

Return to Scooter Riders