Should I be able to push a scooter

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Should I be able to push a scooter

Postby chenige » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:53 pm

My son and I just finished fixing up a 1980 Suzuki FZ50. We were getting ready to push it to the garage from the basement when I see that the rear tire does not turn freely. If we push it with nobody on it the rear tire skids. If we sit on it and push it the rear wheel turns but I believe we are also turning the crank and the piston. The brake is not the issue because I can pull the brake lever and then the rear wheel locks right up.

We did take the crankcase cover off and replaced the kick starter shaft and kick starter.

Is it normal for the rear tire to do this?
chenige
Net Rider

Re: Should I be able to push a scooter

Postby mountainmoped » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:08 pm

It should turn freely. Either the clutch is binding or something is wrong in the gear housing.
Bryan
mountainmoped
Master Regional Rider

Postby chenige » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:36 pm

Thanks, I guess we tear the cover off and see what we did wrong.
chenige
Net Rider

Postby chenige » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:39 pm

OK, it is finally warm here.

I took the crankcase cover off and the piston does not move when we turn the tire, which is correct. So we put the cover back on and tightened. The piston again turns when we turn the tire.

I find that if we leave a very small gap, maybe 1/16", between the crankcase and the motor it works right. As soon as we tighten that little bit the piston turns with the rear tire. I played with all the shafts that go into the crankcase cover but saw nothing wrong.

What could it be?????
chenige
Net Rider

Postby SunnieBell » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:40 pm

did you checked the belt or chain, whatever you say it. May be something stuck in it.
SunnieBell
Net Rider

Postby chenige » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:29 pm

I, ahem, assembled it wrong. washers/spacers were in the wrong order and the manual does show what order they should be in. A little difference in order made a big difference in working.
chenige
Net Rider

Postby John » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Hey, we have all been there. The 1/16 gap would have been the tell tale. Happy motoring!
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby freeriders » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:41 am

chenige wrote:My son and I just finished fixing up a 1980 Suzuki FZ50. We were getting ready to push it to the garage from the basement when I see that the rear tire does not turn freely. If we push it with nobody on it the rear tire skids. If we sit on it and push it the rear wheel turns but I believe we are also turning the crank and the piston. The brake is not the issue because I can pull the brake lever and then the rear wheel locks right up.

We did take the crankcase cover off and replaced the kick starter shaft and kick starter.

Is it normal for the rear tire to do this?

no its not normal, if it is sticking when pushing still? try to look at how you fitted the exhaust... when you sit on the bike it moves? im guessing that the suspension is releasing pressure and allowing the wheel to spin? try it out
freeriders
Net Rider

Return to Scooter Riders