[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Moped Riders Association • View topic - stupid Yamaha QT50 question

stupid Yamaha QT50 question

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

stupid Yamaha QT50 question

Postby heshunseshun » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:29 pm

I know this is probably going to annoy the more educated people, but I have a really simple question about my 84 QT50. The issue is this: out of the bottom of the carb, comes a small pipe which I believe is supposed to have a hose attached but doesnt. This small pipe (about 14 gauge, maybe 12) leaks gasoline at random intervals. It can leak a rather unacceptable amount if it wants to. I think this may have alittle to do with the fact that the fuelvalve assembly may not be making a good seal, and therefore allowing fuel to travel into the carb even when the valve/engine is off. eiather way, can someone tell me if a hose belongs on this little pipe, and if so, what function/destination does it serve. Im betting this is a really obvious question, like its just an overflow or something. If it is just an overflow outlet, then what can I do short of replacing the fuel valve? Can I just plug it while not in use? and then let it drain into a can right before I come to ride? I dont want my bike to drain its tank on the sidewalk while im at class. I would like to replace the fuel valve eventually, but I would also like another option. It randomly leaks, sometimes it wont leak at all, other times it leaks over half a cup overnight. I appologize ahead of time if this is a stupid question. I dont know alot about engines yet, (which I hope to change) so I dont know if this is a real obvious part of a carb that everyone should know about. Also, in the QT50 shop manual, part 2, under carburation, the diagram does illustrate a hose coming out of where I would assume this pipe is located, although it isnt directly illustrated. Any insight would be appreciated, im sorry if this is basic/obvious.
heshunseshun
Net Rider

re: stupid Yamaha QT50 question

Postby Smitty » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:55 am

Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby heshunseshun » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:27 am

heshunseshun
Net Rider

Postby Rusty Bikes » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:22 am

Rusty Bikes
Net Rider

Postby heshunseshun » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:42 am

heshunseshun
Net Rider

Postby xrongor » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:53 am

xrongor
Net Rider

Postby heshunseshun » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:54 pm

So Can I just eliminate the petcock all together and just install a real shutoff? or does the petcock also regulate the flow of gas to the the carb?
heshunseshun
Net Rider

Postby xrongor » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:46 pm

the float and the needle valve inside the carb regulate the flow of gas from the tank. unless the petcock is plugged or otherwise AFU, it can easily keep up with that.

there is a side effect of eliminating the petcock completely. you lose the reserve tank feature. if you premix your gas and convert your oil tank to a reserve tank as i have, this isnt a problem though. or you can just be careful not to run out.

i suggest installing the valve because even non leaking petcocks never seem to turn the fuel completely off. it always drips. an inline shutoff valve costs 3-4$ so its cheap and you dont have to stuff pencils in the gas line when you want to mess with it. and as long as you're redoing the gas line its a good time to do it.
xrongor
Net Rider

Postby heshunseshun » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:59 am

heshunseshun
Net Rider

Postby heshunseshun » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:13 pm

Just for updates sake, I put in a regular fuel cut off between the petcock and carb and it worked out great. Thanks.
heshunseshun
Net Rider

Postby Smitty » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:31 pm

EXCELLANT!!! Glad to hear you've gotten it all straightened-out!!!
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Re: stupid Yamaha QT50 question

Postby wuhuilin11 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:40 pm

wuhuilin11
Net Rider

Return to Scooter Riders