Tank Sports scooter

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Tank Sports scooter

Postby venom7 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:20 pm

has anyone owned or have any info about these scooters? i just bought this one:

http://scooterdepot.us/details.asp?ProductID=238

thanks.
venom7
Net Rider

re: Tank Sports scooter

Postby Tab » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:18 am

Tanks are "iffy" from what I read on scooter BBS. They were terrible, but they are improving.
Tab
Master Regional Rider

Postby HondaNC50 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:10 am

i was looking at that one but i didnt like that whole walbro carburator idea

i just ordered this one looks exactly the same but has a different engine

http://store.scootertronics.com/primostrada.html
A Moped Is Just A Moped Unless Its A HONDA
HondaNC50
Net Rider

Postby Perry Manessis » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:50 am

The Primo Strada scooters are made by QJ, who is an OEM for Yamaha. They are the best of the mainland China motorcycle manufacturers. Head and shoulders above Tank, Geely, Qingqi, etc.
Perry Manessis

2005 Geely JL50QT-18
Perry Manessis
Net Rider

Postby tortoise » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:54 pm

Just curious . . what exactly is it about the Strada - Jinan Qingqi GY6-150 engine that makes it superior to other brands?
tortoise
Net Rider

Re: re: Tank Sports scooter

Postby Cyberian » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:32 pm

Perry Manessis wrote:The Primo Strada scooters are made by QJ, who is an OEM for Yamaha. They are the best of the mainland China motorcycle manufacturers. Head and shoulders above Tank, Geely, Qingqi, etc.
Perry -
Is there an easy way to tell who builds all the various makes/models out there?
It would sure be nice to know if the "City Runabout" is made by QJ or Geely.
Cyberian

Postby Perry Manessis » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:22 pm

Dave, there is no easy way of telling who makes what in China as they all use the same parts suppliers and all look identical until you remove the body panels and see how they are assembled. The only way to tell who makes what, is to look at the MCO and also at the VIN plate that's riveted onto the frame. This will show the true manufacturer as many of the importers slap their own decals on them. I am pretty sure that the City Runabout is a Geely.
Perry Manessis

2005 Geely JL50QT-18
Perry Manessis
Net Rider

Re: re: Tank Sports scooter

Postby HondaNC50 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:17 pm

Perry Manessis wrote:The Primo Strada scooters are made by QJ, who is an OEM for Yamaha. They are the best of the mainland China motorcycle manufacturers. Head and shoulders above Tank, Geely, Qingqi, etc.

thats why i bought it cause the parts are the same as the vento scoots it has the same engine and its like $700 less
HondaNC50
Net Rider

Postby venom7 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:31 pm

thanks guys, i will let you know how that Tank works out for me. :)
venom7
Net Rider

Postby HondaNC50 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:15 pm

yeah deffinatly it should be alright if you dont beat on it

il let everybody know how the primo strada works out i killed a brand new elite 80 in 6 months lets see how long this one lasts me

it should be in on wednesday
HondaNC50
Net Rider

Postby oilyhans » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:51 pm

yeah, tank scooters are well tanked (or in the tank) all scoots break
but on tanks its more than their share.
the biggest problem i've seen is that the warranty replacement part deal, we waited for 60 days to get them to send replacements.... so its that crummy dealer thing along with the crummy scooter.

the motor in most all 4 cycle 49cc is the 139QMB (aka GY6) and a complete cylinder kit can be bought at any TNG dealer for about $95

the GY6 is a fairly good motor not a lot of break downs from what i've seen.
lots of after market replacement & upgrade parts too.

oilyhans
oilyhans
Net Rider

Postby Madd Hatter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:09 pm

were do i start. these are all true and real stories... I'm not making these up. i have 4 Friends that HAD tanks. the first frends name was jhon. his ped started and ran good for a while. he said it was the best. until one day after owning it for 3 days and never taking it apart he turned and something shorted out and fryed all of his electronics. he had to bring it back to the manufacturer. then he traded it for a new one.the same day the new one had its cylinder split. so he bought a new one. then his case cracked and shattered apart. my next Friend Dan got one of those. his electronics caught on fire on the way to school i had to go pick him up. that was his last tank. then my other Friends taylor bought one. 2 days later while driving down the main road his fork snapped off at the welds. he welded it back and it was strong. then his shock mounds busted. he is one of those perfectionists who dont do things wrong. he would never jump it. and my last Friend. name was trevor. he bought it. it wouldn't start. so he brought it back. then he got a new one, it started. he called me to come see it. i rode over on my spree. he started it, and him and me rode off. he never rode it before today. he was good on it. it was nice. well he rode it to school for a week straight with me. on Friday of the second week it started to make a grinding noise. the it seized. we looked and it would kick but it was hard. checked the problem and the crank was bent and the piston broke off the rod
Madd Hatter
Net Rider

Postby Cyberian » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:36 pm

Their Warranty doesn't inspire much confidence:

"We guaranty our products from manufacturer defects within the first 30 days of placing your order. This warranty covers factory defects and defaults only. We do not cover misuse or broken parts caused by the user or by any other event. ScooterDepot.us will be responsible for the shipping costs on the first warranty shipment only. Any additional warranty parts that are needed will require the customer to pay all shipping and handling costs.

1. Engines are not covered."
Cyberian

Next

Return to Scooter Riders