OTWinter Blues

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

OTWinter Blues

Postby steamboat » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:04 am

Hey fellow riders, This board has been really dead concerning modifications and repairs to your ride.With all the snow and bad weather, this seems like the right time to take care of those things you put off because you spent your spare time riding. Tell us what you are doing. Did you ask Santa for some goodies? Share with us. Jim
steamboat

re: OTWinter Blues

Postby Smitty » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:14 am

I am asking Santa for a heater for my little shop, hehehe!

I'm still steadily performing repairs (mostly scooters) for our locals.

I also got in the Kinetic TFR's, that I am still unpacking and assembling. Hope my pedals come in this week!

I also got the little green Qingi scooter put back together and running, and have ridden it a couple of times. Got beat by a Vento, so now I'm ready to sell it, LOL!
Today, I've got the gray Geely scoot to do...gotta' take the rear body off, remove the fuel tank, and give it a thorough cleaning and drying, reassemle it all, and add fresh clean water-free gas.
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby steamboat » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:27 pm

Hey Smitty, After I retired, I had a 24x24 shop without a chimney built behind my house. My intention was to put in electric heat. My neighbor said if I was going to hook to my house water and sewer, why not hook to the natural gas as well. Good idea as gas is cheaper than electric.I installed a thru-the-wall gas heater that does a good job. Now I have a bath room, heat, a 5 CD AM/FM 200 watt stereo system and a table top refrigerator that holds a case of cold ones. hehe. Oh yea I have my tools and welding equipment there also. My wife has threatened to put my bed out there.After 43 years of marriage, I knew she was just kidding. Jim.
steamboat

Postby HondaNC50 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:01 pm

we are getting a new floor poured in our garage tommorow its going to be great
A Moped Is Just A Moped Unless Its A HONDA
HondaNC50
Net Rider

Postby Smitty » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:11 pm

OH man, Santa wishes do come true...I got my heater for the shop. I know it's a little early, but hey, not one complaint from me, hehe!
Now I can get to work earlier in the mornings, and work later in the evenings again!!!

BTW, thanks Nightflight ;^)
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Postby 50/50 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:51 pm

Modifications......Hmmmm......I built a new PC for Christmas.....scooter's chillin' in the garage 'till I get a heater.

Anyone using the Mr. Heater Model MH9B? It's the one I'm lookin' to buy.
50/50
Net Rider

Postby BadBMWBrad » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:34 pm

I stop riding when there's ice on the road. Other than that, collecting and wearing military motorcycle riding attire keeps away winter's chill. The Sportsman's Guide has supplied military surplus items such as East German military motorcycle mittens, French military motorcycle overpants and matching storm duster (for use only on scooters).

A pair of handlebar covers similar to Hippo Hands is useful for Cold Weather Challenge rides < 20 degrees. One ride at -3 degrees caused the grease to solidify in my speedometer front wheel drive gear unit but MoS2 grease remains fluid at very cold temps. German motorcycle mittens have huge horse hide gauntlets that fit over the largest cuffs.

Air-cooled two-stroke engines seem to run well in the coldest conditions. Very lightweight mopeds with large wheels are recommended for winter rides because potholes can swallow a scooter wheel.
BadBMWBrad
Net Rider

Postby xrongor » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:35 am

i would suggest to anybody building a shop/garage that they have 'in the floor' heating installed at the time of construction. (aka radiant floor heating).

you just cannot beat it and you can run it off gas or electricity.

what am i doing this winter? getting the second QT running and planning on making a snowmobile modification for it. just something to putt around town.

randy
xrongor
Net Rider

Postby steamboat » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:53 am

Hey Xronger, I think Radiant Floor Heat is wonderful in a home or any place where a constant temperature is required but my garage has a concrete floor and I do not use it every day. When not in use I turn the thermostat back to 45 degrees which is very comfortable for short use or when necessary, I flip the thermostat up and in minutes the gas forced air furnace has the air temperature perfect. I think installing adequate insulation when building your garage is a great investment. You never know, sometime you might have to sleep in the dog house or garage. hehe. Jim.
steamboat

Postby xrongor » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:11 am

yeah insulation is really the key. it doesnt take much to heat a 24x24 well insulated garage. i also keep an oil filled electric heater set to 40 in there to keep it from deep freezing. i only have it set on 600W so it doesnt keep up when its -20 out, but its better than letting the garage get to -20. and even when its that cold my forced air electric heats it in about 10 minutes.

i'd have run the gas line to the garage, but i did the math and it would take years for the savings to come in based on the cost of running the gas line, buying a proper heater, etc... for how much i use it. i figure if i actually was putting full time in the garshop ill put a woodstove in.

i did run 100A service out there though which is handy.

its funny how consistantly everyone writes xrongEr lol.

randy
xrongor
Net Rider

Postby steamboat » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:07 am

Hey Xronger,I read that in many parts of the country the new SEER13 heatpumps are nearly as efficient as natural gas since the cost of gas has gone up. Are heat pumps used in Montana? Jim.
steamboat

Postby xrongor » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:10 pm

i havent heard much about heat pump use here although if i were building new i would definitely look into it. lots of people here (including me) burn wood for heat. i have a very efficient airtight stove and only go through 4 cords a winter keeping the house at a toasty 75+. and we have long winters...

this winter has been somewhat mild so far (only 3-4 days of -20 degree weather lol) and i only stocked 3 cords. still got more than 2 left... should last me til mid march.

randy
xrongor
Net Rider

re: OTWinter Blues & modding a gy6 125cc

Postby oilyhans » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:37 pm

Well this is off topic for the off topic thread so
i guess its on target!

i'm doing a mod on a TNG 125cc Del Rey scoot for a customer.
the mods are:
a tuned exhaust pipe
new clutch
variator
i'm going to try some of those new sliding weights
and a new main spring.
the customer & i hope to get the scoot to do 60-65 mph
currently it only does 50.
i just ordered the parts they should be here by the end of next week

The MRP website is for wholesale only. they do not sell to the public. You must be a retail operation to buy from them mrp-speed.com
if anybody wants to do a mod i can get you the parts .
i'm a MRP dealer

A Polini variator kit for most Minarelli / JOG / YAMAHA Compatible Scooters includes:
variator
2 set of weights
new slides
belt and clucth springs
$ 118.00 plus shipping

oilyhans
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oilyhans
Net Rider

the picture

Postby oilyhans » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:48 pm

i'll get it right this time....i hope
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oilyhans
Net Rider

ok then try this

Postby oilyhans » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:40 pm

geez ....
that didn't work so go here
http://www.mrp-speed.com/store/product. ... 265&page=1
oilyhans
Net Rider

Next

Return to Scooter Riders