Me=1 State=0

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Me=1 State=0

Postby heshunseshun » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:06 pm

Just to share my experiences, I have an 85 yamaha QT50 that came with no title or plates. Well I finally got my title/plates nice and legal like (although im still waiting for the plates to come in) What I did was get my bill of sale noterized, and then took my bike to a state trooper who ran the VIN and gave me a state police certification paper. I was then able to take these documents into my local currency exchange where they processed my applications! I hope that some of you can use this information in your own quests! (by the way, i live in illinois)
heshunseshun
Net Rider

re: Me=1 State=0

Postby Cyberian » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:12 pm

Good to hear!!

I'm a bit confused about taking your papers to a 'currency exchange'.

Would that be called an MVB or DMV in other states?
Cyberian

Postby tbonestone » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:50 am

No, Hesh lives in chicago. Here our currency exchanges are authorized to sell the license plates and do title transfers. Otherwise the secretary of state's office does these services, but who wants to stand in long lines being served by happy state employees.
tbonestone
Net Rider

Postby heshunseshun » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:11 pm

yeah, i didnt think about that.. theres this chain of joints called "currency exchange" and they do just about everything. I had a hook up so the lady didnt charge me any of the store fees, just the state fees. It still cost me 128 bucks though. 65 for a new title from the state, 38 for plates, and 25 for tax. Should have lied on the selling price to get the tax down. It will be worth it to see the look on these chi cops faces when they go to pull me over like they do to anyone on a moped and find that I am completely legal.
heshunseshun
Net Rider

Postby jayel » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:32 pm

i wish it was that simple in iowa -here you have to get a 3 year bond $100 + tax, title, plates have the dot check vin and of course they are in no hurry to do anything makes me glad its winter
Where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
jayel
Net Rider

Postby heshunseshun » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:03 pm

yeah, the task was quite daunting in the first place. Theres very little information out there, and when I tell someone im trying to title a scooter they keep thinking its one of those go-ped things that you stand up on that you can buy from walmart. It was a pain to get this far, but it will be worth it.
heshunseshun
Net Rider

Postby Smitty » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:41 am

I'm sure glad we don't have to go through all of this here in SC!!!

Some police (not many) do stop Mopedders, just to see if they can rattle them...but if the Rider has his stuff together, and has a firm grasp of our local Moped regulations (Scooters fall under the Moped laws here), then all is normally well.

We don't even have to title our Mopeds (or Scooters) here...just have a Moped placard on the back of any Moped without pedals.
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Re: re: Me=1 State=0

Postby Cyberian » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:36 pm

Smitty wrote:
We don't even have to title our Mopeds (or Scooters) here...just have a Moped placard on the back of any Moped without pedals.

Smitty -

Is this placard something you get from the DMV?
Cost?
Cyberian

Postby Smitty » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:50 am

NO, actually our DMV does not tag/ register Mopeds. It is left up to the dealer or owner of the bike. I'm not sure where the tags come from, but they do have a SC sticker on them, and the dealer is supposed to mail in the registration. I think the tags are manufactured by a private company by approval of the state?

Actually, as long as there is some sort of readable "placard" that has the word "MOPED" plainly readable on it, that seems to be all that is needed. The rental shops here have their own tags made, and these advertisement tags seem to be all that is neeeded, even after the bike is sold. The coolest thing to me is that actual Mopeds (with pedals) do not need any such placard.
Moped tags from dealers normally range from $10-$35.
I print and laminate them with our Club name on them, and give them away free.
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Re: re: Me=1 State=0

Postby Cyberian » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:46 pm

Smitty wrote: The coolest thing to me is that actual Mopeds (with pedals) do not need any such placard.

Oh, I see!
Mopeds don't need Moped tags, but other vehicles do!
That makes perfect sense.
Cyberian

Postby Smitty » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:57 pm

lol!!! Yep, it's crazy, but I'm serious...if the Moped has pedals, you do not need a tag...but if the Moped-class cycle does not have pedals, it must display a Moped placard.
Smitty
Master Regional Rider

Return to Scooter Riders