need advice!

A place within the MRA for scooter enthusiasts to exchange information.

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

need advice!

Postby RazorStar » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:23 pm

Hello all!

I’m thinking of getting a moped and I need some advice. Currently, I need one for general transportation purposes around campus and Harrisonburg. I don’t have a car as of yet, so you might say I need one that is very reliable, yet cost effective. Again, I’m new to the moped scene, so if you could push me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it.

What am I looking for specifically? (Listed most important to least)
1) Reliable.
2) On a budget of around $900.
3) I would like something on the order of, VERY aesthetically pleasing. (Something that will turn my friend’s heads if possible)
4) It must be a two seater.
5) Something with respectable speed, yet nothing too rad required.

Any Ideas?

From what I’ve seen so far, these two are my top choices - so far.

http://www.eliteev.com/ProductDesc.asp?pdid=1670

http://store.pocketbikewholesalers.com/viva150sc.html

Thanks guys!
RazorStar
Net Rider

re: need advice!

Postby steamboat » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:37 pm

"3) I would like something on the order of, VERY aesthetically pleasing. (Something that will turn my friend’s heads if possible)
5) Something with respectable speed, yet nothing too rad required"
These items can only be determined by you. Please be more specific .What size engine? speed? gas? electric? old? new? etc. Jim
steamboat

Postby RazorStar » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:14 pm

I guess I was a little vague on those points. Sorry about that.

3) I would like something that looks just looks cool. Similar in design to the examples I’ve posted in the links. (Modern-looking)
5) If it can go around 50mph, so as to keep up with traffic, I’ll be happy.

As far as engine size is concerned. I really don’t know. I’m new to the scooter scene. Gas is a must and I’m looking for a new one. Hope this helps. Again, all I need is your opinion. What makes and models have good reputations out there?
RazorStar
Net Rider

Postby John » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:19 pm

I'd look at the Kymco linup.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby xrongor » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:30 pm

you might get more people to read your thread and give advice, if it wasnt titled 'need advice' maybe something like 'which moped should i choose' would work better.

randy
xrongor
Net Rider

Postby steamboat » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:24 pm

I agree with John. Check this site.
http://www.strmotorsports.com/showroom/index.html
You have limited yourself to $900 . Be careful in that price range as thereis a lot of junk out there. Here is a scooter board that may help,
http://www.scooterbbs.com/
look nder "illegal and bad scooters" Jim
steamboat

Postby bluesmokeracing » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:19 pm

new? raise the budget to at least 1600. you will probably be very disappointed otherwise. its a small price to pay to be able to get parts when they do fail. remember 2x900= 1800 i would suggest getting something with some credibility. anything over a 50cc will be priced higher than 2000 for quality units
well, it's a ruckus
bluesmokeracing
Regional Rider

Postby RazorStar » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:13 am

Ok, I’ve increased my budget to around $1700 and after some searching I’ve found this scooter for $1500:

http://www.jkscooters.com/touring150_page.htm
(Would this be a good site to order one from?)

In relation to this post, http://www.scooterbbs.com/board/DCForumID11/3417.html#1

From what I’ve read, this model has been gathering some steam as being very reliable - even though it is a Tank scooter.
Comments?
RazorStar
Net Rider

Postby bluesmokeracing » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:27 am

quick way to find out about a company? order some 2 dollar part for the bike you are looking at. make sure it is a part that only that bike would have. see how long it takes to come in. i know i can get 90 % of a tgb in 3-4 days, some stuff a week or 2. find out how much of the bike shares anything(electrical,etc) with other models, whether it be their company or comparable competitors- a lot of the chinese bikes are very interchangeable. the worst thing that could happen is some part fails and you have to wait 6 months for it to come in, or worse yet it cant be found anywhere. a company like tank should be big enough to have a parts supplier in us somewhere, i would just make sure they do.
well, it's a ruckus
bluesmokeracing
Regional Rider

Postby oilyhans » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:00 am

i would avoid tank scooters bought from DFWScooters or bnscooters. FOR SURE!
last aug. a friends kid bought a scoot from dfw the engine was bogus.
bad compression/pressure holding (leakdown) test.
after the regular 3months of going back and forth with DFW with broken promises weekly " we will send the parts out tomorrow".
finally some parts were sent many of the wrong ones and many missing
that were needed for the repair.
the scoot uses a very common motor a 139QMB which is a 49cc GY6.
you can buy parts from a dozen internet scooter parts outlets.
i sell tng parts( i'm a tng dealer) ,the 4 stroke motor they use and for that matter most if not all 49cc 4cycle motors from china is the same motor.
i can get most all 49cc parts within 4 days that i might not have in stock .

SO YOUR BEST BET IS TO BUY YOUR SCOOT FROM A REAL STORE WHERE
YOU CAN TAKE IT BE SERVICED AND THEY SHOULD HAVE SOME PARTS IN STOCK IN THEIR PARTS/SERVICE DEPT. ALL DEALERS ARE REQUIRED
TO CARRY PARTS IN STOCK. IF NOT LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE FOR YOUR SCOOT. INTERNET SELLERS ARE VERY SLOW TO RESPOND TO YOUR PROBLEMS IF AT ALL.AND ALMOST NEVER CARRY PARTS. THEY HAVE TO GET THEM FROM 3RD OR 4TH PARTY SUPPLIERS.

oilyhans
oilyhans
Net Rider

Postby steamboat » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:51 pm

I agree with Oilyhans. Buy from a local dealer unless their prices are way out of line and you are willing to take your chances. Some on-line dealers use drop shipments, sometimes without having an office or even a telephone number. It works like this:
1. They advertise on the internet.
2. You order from them with a credit card/paypal account including freight.
3. They call their distributor and have the product shipped from the distributor's warehouse, hopefully with all the paperwork.
4.The distributor bills them for the wholesale price plus shipping.
5. The dealer pockets the difference. Nothing wrong with making a profit.
6. If you have a warranty problems or just need parts, you may or may not get a response from the non-stocking online dealer. Most of these dealers do not give their warranty, only the manufacturer's warranty.
6. Good luck in contacting the manufacturer.
7.How do I know this? I had a terrible time getting my MCO/MSO and some parts that were broken in shipment. The dealer's website is gone and the distributor's website said "parts department opening soon" for about a year before he quit answering e-mails and telephones. Jim.
steamboat

Postby RazorStar » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:28 pm

OK, big news!!! The sun will go supernova in 3 days!!!

Well, OK not really... But, long story short, I have to get something with a motor below 50cc ( the goal here being to avoid having to register it and pay for insurance - not that I wouldn’t mind - it’s... just complicated) and also, it can’t cost any more then $900 (again - uggg). Ya, life happens... So now I’m forced into the touchy ‘junky zone’ - I still would like to get one from a local dealer but, I’m running out of options. Any ideas with these new guide lines? I was having a hard time as it was is finding something before - but now.... finding anything online under 50cc is turning out to be even tougher. It would be ideal, if I could zoom in on a particular scooter online and then find a local distributor that sells it. But.... Who knows? Again, thanks for all the help so far!
RazorStar
Net Rider

Postby steamboat » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:23 pm

$900 ,<50cc and keep up with traffic probably won't happen IMO. Jim
steamboat

Postby BadBMWBrad » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:41 pm

If you're limited to $900 then I think you'll get a more reliable used KYMCO scooter (made in Taiwan) with low miles than any new Chinese scooter out there.
BadBMWBrad
Net Rider

Postby 50/50 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:17 pm

RazorStar-look here http://www.cycletrader.com/index.html

there is a scooter section. Good luck.
50/50
Net Rider

Return to Scooter Riders