Save the freakin' clutch!

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

re: Save the freakin' clutch!

Postby TowerTower » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:17 pm

On the sprocket discussion:
The prime number theory has demonstrable merit. Note the actual comparison is sprocket teeth to chain links. Since chains almost always have an even number of links (unless you splice-in a fancy 1/2-link), that leaves sprocket teeth to be the prime number in the equation. As for wear, it means that the wear is spread across all teeth and links evenly if using a prime number sprocket. Otherwise the wear is localized to a smaller subset of the teeth and chain links as determined by the lowest common denominator for that sprocket-chain combination.

Theorectically, a prime number sprocket can extend chain and sprocket life by 4X in moped applications, practically however, by about 2X.

On the transmission topic:
Just to be clear, if you reduce counterweight mass, you can go with very light ATF - this being the recommended approach for lengthening moped transmission shift interval. Knowing how much to shave off those weights is another matter - best done by small increments and trial runs, as those weights are not very massive. Using a weigh scale sensitive to at least the nearest gram is advisable.

Cutting springs is even more tricky, and best left to a machinist. Otherwise, have some spares handy :-)
TowerTower
Net Rider

re: Save the freakin' clutch!

Postby brillo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:37 pm

It's been 4+ years since I posted here...

Just want to let everyone know I lost 96 lbs. during the interim. Currently at ~200. I'm sure you're all THRILLED to know that.

Lots and LOTS of road biking, as my knees won't take the pounding of running any more. I log 10-20 miles almost every morning. Now at 62 yo, I am only 15 lbs. over my college wrestling weight!

Yes, my moped now accelerates and goes up hills faster, shifts smoother, and has a higher top speed (as does my bike).

And I love riding my mopeds even more. Woo Hoo!
brillo
Net Rider

Previous

Return to Moped Riders