[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Moped Riders Association • View topic - Engine dies when choke open and I pull on the throttle

Engine dies when choke open and I pull on the throttle

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Engine dies when choke open and I pull on the throttle

Postby Jay » Sat May 09, 2009 8:55 pm

1979 Puch Magnum MKII
Jay
Net Rider

re: Engine dies when choke open and I pull on the throttle

Postby maxiluv » Sat May 09, 2009 9:39 pm

1978 Puch Maxi-luxe

"rollin in the bike lane"
maxiluv
Net Rider

Postby Jay » Sat May 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Thanks, I don't have a bowl to my knowledge on my ped. It's a Puch Magnum MKII. I have rust in the tank, but have recently had the tank off, and flushed it completely with gas to get any loose particles out, and replaced the petcock. The book on the Magnum in the moped repair section is slightly less than useful when it comes to tech stuff, more or less how to start, stop, lights, etc. An in-line filter would be good I think to the fuel line, I also plan to coat the inside with tank liner and see what happens there. I don't know how to get to stock settings on the carb, or how to tune a carb for that matter.
1979 Puch Magnum MKII
Jay
Net Rider

Postby supercub » Sun May 10, 2009 7:23 am

supercub
Regional Rider

Postby silverfox » Sun May 10, 2009 12:16 pm

silverfox
Net Rider

Postby tomos_ATX50 » Sun May 10, 2009 12:59 pm

ATX50C made in Yugoslavia
Bubba Zanetti....ultimate bad guy
tomos_ATX50
Net Rider

Postby Jay » Mon May 11, 2009 2:44 pm

When I cleaned the tank I actually replaced the petcock, it was an all in one project. the petcock was leaking horribly, it was as though it was fully open with no fuel line attached, even though there was one, it leaked so much fuel.

I am going to look into getting a buddy to look at the carb with me later this week. Thanks.
1979 Puch Magnum MKII
Jay
Net Rider

Postby silverfox » Tue May 12, 2009 10:18 am

silverfox
Net Rider

Postby Jay » Tue May 12, 2009 8:19 pm

1979 Puch Magnum MKII
Jay
Net Rider

Postby tomos_ATX50 » Wed May 13, 2009 2:11 am

now you have to adjust your idle,there has to be idle screw on carb..its usually orange color...
tomos_ATX50
Net Rider

Postby Jay » Wed May 13, 2009 8:35 am

Are you refering to the carb adjustment screw? I've been playing with that, right now it seems to run best at 2.5 turns out from all the way in.

The flat spot may also be the throttle turning more than it should. My throttle cable is broken, so I had to zip tie the thing in an odd location to get it to function. The result of that might be being able to turn the throttle handle further than the carb can work with.
1979 Puch Magnum MKII
Jay
Net Rider

Postby silverfox » Wed May 13, 2009 9:38 am

The idle adjustment screw has NOTHING to do with the running at full open throttle. You cannot open the throttle too far. Once it is fully open, it is fully open.

If you are getting a flat spot at full throttle it usually means that you are running too rich.

Do some plug chops. What does your plug look like?
silverfox
Net Rider

Postby Jay » Wed May 13, 2009 10:38 am

Plug is probably close to fouled. Was running 60:1 fuel + the oil injection until I was sure the oil injection was working. Plus was running with choke closed only until I could get the carb cleaned, and had it idling around a lot, so everything bad you can do to a plug, I did.

It shouldn't be running to rich, if anything to lean due to there being open intake iwth no air filter at all. If I stick my finger down in the intake and partially block it, it runs much better at WOT.
1979 Puch Magnum MKII
Jay
Net Rider

Postby tomos_ATX50 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:12 pm

with all that much oil,you are lucky it worked at all...
tomos_ATX50
Net Rider

Postby silverfox » Thu May 14, 2009 10:41 am

If you are choking off the air at WOT and it runs better, that would be an indication of a too lean condition. Better do some more checking before you stick the engine.
silverfox
Net Rider

Next

Return to Moped Riders