New to forum today and THANKS already: problem fixed!

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

New to forum today and THANKS already: problem fixed!

Postby haltz » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:17 pm

Hi all..I am a sixty-something with a 78 Puch Newport which sometimes runs. Joined the forum yesterday because I couldn't figure out how to make it idle, not race. Did a search, found some suggestions, and VOILA, it's fixed.
Shoulda looked at the forum first, but...still learning. Been working on & off on this 10 days. Took Bing carb apart, cleaned it, put it back on, couldn't get it to idle, just race. Even got another carb on ebay, same problem. Pushed the drum down as far is it could go manually, same problem. Set the pin down to lowest, same problem.
THEN (bass-ackwardly) started searching the forum yesterday and found that superfluous air intake cold be the problem. Tightened the 14mm intake around the carb, tightened the nuts holding the intake on the manifold, and all is well.
Now I will start working on this ped to make it poto-worthy.

Also am looking forward to re-building my 1980 Motobecane over in France, probaby in October. It was working fine except leaking gas. So I took it apart (motor and wheels off frame, mainly), started he tank-cleaning treatment, but ran out of time and warm enough weather to finish the tank sealing job.

Thanks to all the helpful posts!
haltz
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders