[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Moped Riders Association • View topic - Lukes Accident 10th December (pics)

Lukes Accident 10th December (pics)

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

re: Lukes Accident 10th December (pics)

Postby Tramp » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:54 am

thanks for the kind words guys,

back in december, after my accident i was airlifted to hospital and never got to see the damage to my bike, yesterday I got to see it (it now resides in my mothers garage) Im dead certain it will be a write off,

to me it looks like the main damage is the frame, which is bent, the tank that cost me £250 to have spray painted is dented, the legshield which are virtuly irriplaceable are damaged beyond repair and the exhaust pipe (which i had to have imported from the continet) Is damaged and bent by being forced forward,

what a shame,

this was it before the accident

Luke

P.s. on the bright side, I manged to trade my manual car in today for a semi auto smart car, Its like a jazzed up mobility scooter and will be perfect for what i need
*Luke*
Tramp
Net Rider

Re: re: Lukes Accident 10th December (pics)

Postby RebelMob » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:02 pm

Processed on shared equipment that may have come in contact with nuts.
RebelMob
Net Rider

Postby Tramp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:48 am

thank you, everything is going well at the moment!

I've been to see my consultant, about a date for the next op, Im booked in for the 7th of june for leg lengthening. The consultant gave me 3 options,
-The first being remove the frame and live with a shortened leg for the rest of my life,
-The second was to have my right leg shortened the same amount by removing a section of bone from my upper leg, although this would level me up and have quick healing time i would be left with one knee lower than the other for the rest of my life, (and i imagine it would make it hard to kneel down!)
- And the third was to go for the leg lengthening, this would take the longest, be the most painful but i would go back to just about normal (and stay the same height as i always was!) to do this they would have to fit me with another ring on my ankle and fit a wire through my foot (i imagine with a half moon over the top) and that is to make sure my achilles tendon stretchs with the leg or else i could be left with a perminantly drooped foot that would be difficult to correct,

I opted for number 3 as I want to get back as close to normal as possible even though it will take longer to heal,

I also managed to get some copys of the xrays (from today) the consultant is pretty happy and thinks my tibia is almost completely healed and aparantly my femur is totally healed

any way here are the x rays

my hip and the top of my femur (from the front)

the bottom of my femur (from the front)

the bottom of my femur and knee from the side

fibula and tibia from the side

fibula and tibia from the front,

Luke
*Luke*
Tramp
Net Rider

Postby John » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:00 am

Ouch, ouch and more ouch. I would probably done the same decision as you with your options. Keep your spirits up!
By the way what is happening to the cager that slammed you?
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby RebelMob » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:39 am

OUCH - It looks like you are mending really well and the consultant would not offer those options if you did not heal well and quickly so that ig good. Keep your spirits up!
RebelMob
Net Rider

Postby Tramp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:55 pm

cheers guys, Im thinking about going back to work on 'light' duties that way at least i will be able to keep myself busy until the next op! considering the damge i took im surprised the puch came off so well!

as for the old woman, the police are going to prosecute her, they said the magistrates will probably take her licence off her, which can only be a good thing! I'd hate to think that some other innocent biker like me could be knocked off under the same circiumstances and possibly be killed, I think that removing her licence would be fitting, and after all i wouldn't want her to do jail or anything, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have gone out of her way to knock me off, I think it was probably just old age misjudgement!

thanks for taking the time to read and thank you for the kind words,

Luke
*Luke*
Tramp
Net Rider

Postby RebelMob » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:22 pm

Going back on light duty is a good way to keep in 'practice' of working - I found with long convalescence that you lose a lot of the sense of routine - which can be as difficult as any physio. If there is no suitable light duty you might get your employer to ante up for some courses.

Ya - I doubt she woke up that morning thinking it was a good day to smash into someone - but it definately is not a mistake that needs the chance to be repeated.

I really loved the way the Puch looked - what a beauty.
RebelMob
Net Rider

Postby Ralph C Barger » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:41 am

Luke, congratulations!! That may sound odd considering your circumstances but look at the progress you have already made in healing and the positive attitude you have maintained thru the whole ordeal. you have been tested in the fire, so to speak, and have proven that your metal
is strong.I admire your courage.
You may or may not return to riding and that is your choice to make. It would be understandable if you did not but as a horse riding friend once
told me,"You fall off and you get back into the saddle again. Never quit".
At any rate you have a lot of riders out here praying for your sucessful
recovery. Please continue to keep us posted.
My Staffie Bull Amanda sends her regards to your two girls.!!!!
Believe in the possibility of doing the impossible.
Ralph C Barger
Net Rider

Postby Tramp » Fri May 28, 2010 8:25 am

I'm annoyed today So prepare yourself for a rant!

I rang the police yesterday to see how the court case against the woman who knocked me off was going, they have just got back to me, They said the woman went to court and was given a £300 fine with £90 costs and 7 points on her lisence,*
I'm annoyed with this outcome I really wanted the woman to loose her lisence people like that just arent safe on the road, I know she saw me and I know that had she being paying any attention I wouldn't be like this now, how long till she does it again? maybe next time she can have a few of my mates and for good measure she can kill them rather than maim.
I wouldn't wish this injury on anybody and In my opinion the courts should have taken her lisence, if she wished to drive again she should complete the test again that way we would know she would be safe to drive. The policeman In charge of the case said the outcome generally depended on how remorseful she was, So she must have put on a really good facade, as I've had nothing from her not even a sorry (and I'd like to think I'm good natured enough for that to be all I need)
I'm so annoyed about this, I feel that 2 years of my life (recovering) and then the rest of my life being incapacitiated (to some degree) should easily constitue taking her lisence, I guess there is no jutice and I guess that because of her age she was treated differently, I'm under no illusion If it had been the other way round and I (a 23 year old) had done the same injurys to her (76) in a similar situation my lisence would have been immediatly revoked

Luke

*Luke*
Tramp
Net Rider

Postby RebelMob » Fri May 28, 2010 9:00 am

I can not think of words to express how much I feel that the outcome for her sux. I am sure the judge who tried the case is not a biker and has no close relatives who are bikers either.

Geeeez Luke that is just crap.
RebelMob
Net Rider

Postby John » Fri May 28, 2010 1:57 pm

It is pretty sad that the law wasn't on your side. I just can't imagine the amount of pain and suffering you have been through. Is there no way a solicitor/lawyer can be used to intercede on your behalf and at least get you some compensation. Be positive and get that Puch back to its pristine condition. Cheers!
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Tramp » Fri May 28, 2010 3:25 pm

thanks guys, Sorry about that last post it was a bit of a rant I had to get out my system, I was so angry because I was so sure they would have banned her from the roads, In hind sight I should have known better,

aparantly the law says that half of the crime is the intent and the other half is the consquence, because she had no intent the consquence can only carry the sentencing so far,
- even If I am disappointed with the outcome!

On the bright side things are getting better for me, my next op is on the 14th and then I can start the process of growing the bone back, which should take around 2 months, after that my leg will virtually be back to its old self! and I will only have to wait a further 9 months for the new bone to harden,

Compensation wise, I should be cheerful, Any prosecution shows that the woman was violating the law and fully to blame for the accident, It means that I will certainly get some compensation but The amount won't be decided on until I'm as recovered as I'm going to get, That way they can asess how difficult life will be for me afterward and then decide how much would cover the cost,

I know that however much they offer won't be the same as having a healthy leg, but it will certainly help me out as in I hope to be able to pay off my mortgauge with it or invest it in some way,

Like I said thanks for putting up with my vent!
Luke
*Luke*
Tramp
Net Rider

Postby erie guy » Fri May 28, 2010 3:54 pm

If your accident had occured in the USA, you would have been immediately deluged with mail solicitations from lawyers, to sue that old lady for every last pence she had. I've been there, and I know that any amount of money can't make up for the pain, and residual effects, of your injuries. But hell, I wouldn't feel guilty about taking a chunk of her estate, to finance a nice, new ride (4 wheels, of course), especially, considering the extent of your injuries. As John suggested, do you not have any legal options to pursue, for "compensation"? Anyway, I have to admire your attitude, and fortitude, in dealing with your injuries. Whatever physical therapy rehab you partake of, push it to the painful max, and beyond. The effort you put forth now, will pay off in dividends, as you grow older. Trust me on that one. Good luck.
Greg

After making a decison, have no regrets.
erie guy
Net Rider

Postby John » Fri May 28, 2010 5:04 pm

I trust her estate can be attacked if she passes before you are whole. Considering the original news post stated she was 76 years old! You need a lawyer my friend to keep it on the boil.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Tramp » Sat May 29, 2010 8:20 am

*Luke*
Tramp
Net Rider

PreviousNext

Return to Moped Riders