Hello from across the pond

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

Hello from across the pond

Postby Tubesnake Boogie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:23 am

Hi. Just thought I'd introduce myself on here. I'm John from just outside London UK.

I just bought my first ever vintage moped to try and restore, it's a 1962 Phillips Gadabout MK IV. I don't expect many of those made it to the States as it was only built in the UK on licence from Motobecane for one year (1962). The Phillips has a different body style and different headlamp configuration, but seems to be mostly a stylised version of the Mobylette AV89.

It could look beautiful (with a whole lot of work) and is intended to be a companion for my 1978 VW Type 2 campervan.

Anyway, in the search for help advice and expertise I stumbled across your fabulous website and have already found it tremendously helpful, especially for the downloadable Motobecane maintenance manual.

I'd love to hear from anyone with any advice or who just wants to shoot the breeze. Our family love the USA and have visited several times. Our best holiday was an RV run from Vegas to LA and then up the Pacific Highway to San Fran, taking in Pismo Beach and Moro Bay on the way. Mind you, we loved our New York to the Adirondacs then across to Buffalo and back trip too.

Next time we hope to do Grand Canyon to San Diego and down to Mexico.

It's a big place the States. :)

Jx
Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee.
Tubesnake Boogie
Net Rider

Return to Moped Riders