so where is the best place for parts?

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

re: so where is the best place for parts?

Postby JD » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:33 pm

I'm no mechanic, either, as the guys with whom I ride will attest vigorously. But that carb is not a nuclear reactor. I learned how mine worked just by taking it off and taking it apart. If you're ready to replace it, anyway, you've got nothing to lose my messing with it a bit.

Take the sucker off and disassemble it. Use the diagram on the Moped Junkyard website as a schematic so you can see what's what.

Clean out every orifice you can find. Use fine wire for the small holes, and get yourself a can of compressed air as well. Put it all back together, and wait for the weather to get warm. Put gas in the thing, see if it runs, and figure out from where the gas is leaking.

BTW, it's also possible that the prior owner just wasn't shutting off the fuel petcock when he stored the bike, which will sometimes result in the float bowl overflowing a bit. It's not unusual for me to find a small puddle of gas on the ground under my bike if it's been sitting for a long time, especially if I forgot to shut off the petcock. It's NBD.

One of the pleasures (horrors) of owning a moped is that it's gonna need some TLC from time-to-time. Either learn to get your hands dirty, or sell the LX and buy a scooter. Scooters don't break as much, but they're a bitch to fix by yourself. Mopeds are pretty simple, and easy for mechanically neophytes such as myself to figger out.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:34 pm

You don't need to be a mechanic to clean a carb. It's as easy as removing the carb, taking it apart, cleaning it real good with carb cleaner and replacing any worn out gaskets. These carbs are pretty much bulletproof and need very little maintenance unless they are left to sit for long periods of time.

When you get a moped, you have to be willing to learn these kinds of things or you will end up paying someone $75 and hour to do it for you. Mopeds are prone to breaking down, so you really can't be afraid to take things apart and put them back together. If you're nervous about being able to reassemble parts after you take them apart, take pics along the way for reference.

Like JD said, all you probably need is a $3 gasket and a little carb cleaner to get that bike back on the road.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby JD » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:39 pm

I SWEAR, Mopedlar and I did NOT talk to each other just before our last replies! LOL!

jdl
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Great minds think alike :-)
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Re: re: so where is the best place for parts?

Postby JD » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:52 pm

mopedlar wrote:When you get a moped, you have to be willing to learn these kinds of things or you will end up paying someone $75 and hour to do it for you.

The key difference between Mopedlar and me is that I'm usually the guy who's PAYING someone $75 and he's usually the guy who's RECEIVING someone's $75! LOL!
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby John » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:32 pm

That means when you are broken down on the side of the road you will pay us 75 bucks to get going again or maybe dinner and a few beers?

So to put this all together, you either have a float bowl gasket leaking from a needle valve that will not shut off because the float has lost its bouyancy, and to top it off the pet cock isn't holding when in the shut off mode. Simple, just follow the line back. LOL

Take the right engine fairing off, take the air box off, pinch off the fuel somehow. Loosen carb at the manifold, remove 2 screws in top of carb and extract the slide with the cable. Pull off the carb, dump out what ever fuel is in it. Remove bottom bowl of carb and check all orifices. Careful on the float don't let it hang down. Turn carb upside down and blow through fuel inlet to see if needle valve holds. Check gasket on bowl to see if intact. Check the float to see if it is fuel logged. Clean every thing and any opening and reinstall.

While you are at it check the fuel flow from the pet cock and see if it is working as it is designed to and will shut off.
You can do it, it is not rocket science! You have put together a lot of bicycles, yes? Now dig in and get dirty.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby schwinnguy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:33 pm

i have never cleaned or fixed a carborator. so i'm a little worried about doing this. the bike runs fine, and boy is it fast for such a little thing. the guy i bought it from said something about a needle that is bad in the carborator. i'm not sure why there is a needle in it, or how many there are, or how to find and fix it. so i guess i'll be better off just getting a new carborator.
yes i do work on my bicycles, but they do not have engines.
oh, almost forgot to mention. i did call back and change my order to the carborator that you guys mentioned. thanks for the info. i'm learning alot from this site and glad the previous owner told me i should look here if i ever need help with it.
2000 tomos targa lx,
donp
schwinnguy
Net Rider

Postby JD » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:11 pm

At least do yourself the favor of taking the old carb apart when you remove it. You're going to need to see how to connect the throttle cable up to the new one, so you're going to need to see how it's connected to the old.

jd
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby TPR950H » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:30 pm

I recently just bought a Honda hobbit as my first bike. I purchased this as non-operational and was scared. The only experience I had prior to this was an autoshop class i took 15 years ago and we disassembled and reassembled a carb. But of course I barely remember that.

That being said, I have experience with bicycles (not even of the geared kind-- but I can disassemble and reassemble as long as I have the tools including non-sealed bottom bracket and headset) and I was able to get my moped running.

Really a moped only needs three things to run: compression, spark, and fuel. Yours already runs so you can rule out compression and spark. So you just have a fuel issue :) Just watch a video about how carbs work and learn the terminology.

Usually its just a carb issue and once thats clean.. you should be good to go. Its basically take it off, unscrew stuff, spray stuff and put it all back together. Run wire through holes as well.

That's all I had to do (maybe I was lucky) so you shouldn't be worried. Once you open up the carb and put it back together and you reread all this, it'll all make sense.
TPR950H
Net Rider

Postby JD » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:59 pm

You both might benefit from reading "Fred's Guide" in the Moped Repair library: http://www.mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=8
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby schwinnguy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:14 am

my carborator came yesterday. i hope it's easy to put together.
2000 tomos targa lx,
donp
schwinnguy
Net Rider

Postby Ike » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Hooking the throttle cable up can be tricky, if you have never done it. But once the basics are mastered, a seemingly impossible task becomes second nature.

Ike
Only God can make a tree....
and only Tomos can make a Moped!
Ike
Master Regional Rider

Postby schwinnguy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:25 am

i spent the weekend trying to put this new carborator on and it does not fit on the tube. there is a plastic piece in it and it is too small for the tube. i'm gonna send it back. maybe they will have the right carborator for me and can exchange it. then i gotta find a windshield and light bulb.
2000 tomos targa lx,
donp
schwinnguy
Net Rider

Postby mopedlar » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:03 pm

You can remove that plastic shim/bushing and re-use the old shim/bushing from the old carb. No need to send back the carb.
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby schwinnguy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:31 am

i've given up on this bike. i put the new carborator on and this bike will not run. it was really hard to start, and when i did get it to run it seemed like it had no power and kept stalling when i turned the twist grip. i put the old carborator back on and it runs great. i called the original owner to ask him what he thought the problem might be with the new carborator. he told me that the original carborator had been modified to work with the stuff he did to the engine. he said it had a 68 jet in it and that my new carb only had a 53 jet in it. he said that the old carborator only needs a new needle. i'm not sure what he means by all that, so i think i will just leave it alone and ride it as it is. i'll just have to put some thing under it when i park it to catch the gas.
2000 tomos targa lx,
donp
schwinnguy
Net Rider

PreviousNext

Return to Moped Riders