puch maxi not starting

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

re: puch maxi not starting

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:00 pm

The piston is lubricated (both top and bottom) by the oil in the fuel.
The transmission fluid lubricates the clutch and the big gear that drives the chain sprocket. (I forget what that's called.)

The clutch has two parts to it; the starter clutch on the outside, and the transmission clutch on the inside. Both are supposed to be lubricated with transmission oil.

I would say, first make sure the transmission drain bolt is on and sealed, then try filling the transmission with fluid. Its "full" when the fluid reaches the top of the fill hole. It doesn't take a whole lot. Then see if the engine behaves any different.
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Postby ybot1983 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:58 am

thanks Mike

Im hoping the lack of oil is the cause of clutch not engaging and not allowing starting. Im going to work on it this weekend
ybot1983
Net Rider

Postby ybot1983 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:02 am

I managed to disconnect the clutch starter on the clutch casing it has a spring inside that returns the bolt after clutch lever is released. I took it out and the bolt turns about two inches or so but i cant feel any connection with anything in the clutch. Apparently the end in the clutch cover has a flat side that connects to a pressure bolt somehow that presumably connects the pedal gears to the crank. Dont know if anyone knows how this clutch rod works against the pressure bolt. Unfortunately this model means i would have to sepaerate the engine casing to open up the clutch

photos attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ybot1983
Net Rider

Postby ybot1983 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:56 pm

I adjusted clutch lever without lining it up with the the spring wire underneath and the engine fired up but there is some sort of air leak as it sounds like a airplane with slow acceleration, i think its in the pistin area, not sure if the engine bolts are torqued
ybot1983
Net Rider

Postby ybot1983 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:54 am

installed new cylinder bolt, with new gasket, disconnected the decompressor now starts very quickly just by pushing it around in a half circle with starter clutch, adjusted carb for low tick over. Great to be back on the bike as i wanted it for my commute when it gets very cold and wet, rather than ride my 1980 xs1100 yamaha which is the other end of the spectrum in weight and speed.

toby
ybot1983
Net Rider

Postby RebelRider.Mike » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:13 am

Glad to hear you're back up and running!
Mike

1979 Puch Free Spirit
1987 Honda Rebel
2014 Ural M70
RebelRider.Mike
Net Rider

Previous

Return to Moped Riders