New Member - Need Help

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

New Member - Need Help

Postby mike1964 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Hello, I just joined and didn't realize so many people still ride mopeds.
I just got a 1976 Demm Smily that I hope to get in shape for the Spring.
If anyone knows of a good suplier, I'm sure I'll be needing one as I go thru this.

Before I try to ride it much, I'd like to change the gear oil, but I'm not sure what kind to use. I've been told anything from 10-30w to 10-40w to type F transmission fluid to 85w?

Also, within the last 2 days, I've noticed gas dripping from the front of the carborator. I plan to take it apart to check the float, any advice would be appreciated.

And, today I tried to start it, but it wouldn't turn over. I took out the spark plug and it was wet with gas. Looks like I may be in for more than I bargained for.

Anyway, hope to spend a lot of time on the site and hope to get this thing running well.

Since this is my first moped, I will gladly accept any helpful advice.

Thanks,
Mike
mike1964
Net Rider

re: New Member - Need Help

Postby John » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:01 am

You are probably hydro locked up with gas in the crank case I would surmise with the wet plug and drippings from the carb. Pull the plug wire off and kick it to push the gas out. Baring that you may need to drop the exhaust and pour it our if there isn't a drain for the crankcase. Transmission oil is a different matter and different chamber, 10-30 or ATF will probably work.
There should be a manual at the Moped Army site in their Wiki, if there isn't one in our repair section. Good luck on a new adventure.

Went and searched and came up with this:
http://projectmopedmanual.info/Manual_HTML/solo.html
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby mike1964 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:51 am

Hello John,

Thanks for all the information. That will get me off to a good start and at least it seems like issues I can handle.
mike1964
Net Rider

Postby mopedlar » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:11 am

Your bike has a motor specific to that brand bike....Demm (not Solo). You will not find that motor on any other make moped. You're gonna be hardpressed to find a manual specific to that make bike. Demm motors are similar to Minarelli motors, but none of the parts are transferrable.

Good luck on your resto!
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby mopedlar » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:56 pm

This will be helpful to you....

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Demm
MoPedLar
mopedlar
Regional Rider

Postby mike1964 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:43 am

thanks, I was hoping to be able to get parts somewhere, but you're right, it's going to be tough. I'll take good care to make sure I don't break anything when I get into the engine.
mike1964
Net Rider

Postby John » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:52 am

Look for a parts bike. A lot of parts are interchangeable in the moped world also.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Return to Moped Riders