SSR Lazer sport moped

General discussion forum for repairing and riding mopeds

Moderators: ItsLookingUp, pehuskey, Tab, mountainmoped, JD, John

SSR Lazer sport moped

Postby Jimbo321 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:28 pm

Greetings, i thought someone may be interested in purchasing a new SSR Lazer moped, since they're fairly new and not much info available.
My brother and i both just purchased two new Lazers. So far, these little mopeds are better than i had expected. You can climb ANY hill in low gear, no matter how bad the grade is. They cruise around 30 without redlining. They are extremely well build, heavy and solid bikes. They start VERY easy, either with the electric start, or just turn the key to on and give it a little push in low gear. The headlights are as bright as any motorcycle that i've ever had, and the turn signal lights, brake lights, etc., work excellant. We purchased these from JCscooters, in Franklin, Ky. The guy that runs the place is George, and he will put these together for you prior to purchase, and make sure everything is exactly right before you leave with them. You WILL get a discount if you purchase more than one at a time. So far, these little bikes are much more than i had expected from a little 50cc moped. I can find nothing to complain about these bikes. Since they are new and have only been ridden a few hours so far, i will add new posts as time goes on for anyone that may be interested in these bikes. Make sure you don't get the SSR Lazer confused with others that look the same. The SSR has STREET tires, not the knobby tires.
Jimbo321
Net Rider

re: SSR Lazer sport moped

Postby John » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:42 am

Very similar to the Jailing from a few years back with upgrades to it. Interesting, but time will tell how they hold up. Blue locktite your threaded fasteners. Price for the interested. Watched a nice U-Tube video of the bike.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Postby silverfox » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:08 pm

@Jimbo
As I understand it there have been three different models of this moped
1. single speed
2. dual range, manually shifted
3. two speed automatic

Which one do you have?
silverfox
Net Rider

Postby Jimbo321 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:22 pm

We bought the type which has two gears, with the shifter at the top of the engine on the left side (while sitting on the bike). You have to be stopped to swith from low to high, but we've found that you can climb almost any hill in high gear. You were right about the locktite. One of our pedals came off, and sorry to say, is lost. I believe that the engine and drive train is very well built on these bikes, so far anyway, but i do recommend checking to make sure everything is tight, and the locktite is my next step to avoid further problems. They start very easily, and run smooth as silk. I will add additional posts as time goes on, and keep you updated on the good and the bad of the bikes.
Jimbo321
Net Rider

re: update on SSR Lazer moped

Postby Jimbo321 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:00 pm

Well, it's been a week or so, many rides on the SSR Lazer moped. I did go over the entire bike and tighten every nut and bolt on the thing, plus i did use "Locktite" on every one. So far there are NO complaints on this little bike. It starts VERY easy and runs like a dream. I have been using 87 octane in it so far, that's all i had handy, but the book recommends 93, so i guess i'll get a higher grade for next fill up and see if it gives it any more power, not that i have any complaints the way it runs now. Supposedly it gets 100 mpg, and the tank holds 3/4 gallon, which would be around 75 miles to the tank full. I will post further updates as time and miles go on.
Jimbo321
Net Rider

Postby John » Thu May 03, 2012 8:02 pm

That 93 may be for other countries that rate their octane different from North America. 87 will be just fine in a Honda clone motor.
John

"Plan your life like you will live forever, and live your life like you will die the next day!"
John
Master Regional Rider

Re: re: SSR Lazer sport moped

Postby tortoise » Fri May 04, 2012 5:45 pm

John wrote:Watched a nice U-Tube video of the bike.

Video link.
tortoise
Net Rider

Postby Jimbo321 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Thanks for the info on the gasoline, i wasn't aware. Maybe i'll stick with the 87 for now.
Jimbo321
Net Rider

Postby Jimbo321 » Sat May 05, 2012 9:45 pm

Well, although a boring post, i took a fairly long ride today, about 25 miles, on back country roads. Many long curvy roads, various hills, etc. The Lazer went up every hill in high gear, although it did slow down some at the very top of one extremely long hill. Overall, i was very impressed with the Lazer. Still no complaints, but i will continue to post in case anyone is interested, or may be considering buying one of these little bikes.
Jimbo321
Net Rider

Postby John » Sun May 06, 2012 7:07 am

Sounds like it would be a great city bike.
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby JD » Sun May 06, 2012 8:04 am

Definitely stick with 87 octane fuel. The "93" octane in other countries is the same stuff as 87 octane in the U.S. because of different measurement methods.

Higher octane gas will not make your Lazer run better and could, actually, damage it in the long run if it causes it run hotter.

jd
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby Jimbo321 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks for the tips on the fuel, i will stick with the 87. It does fine with it. I agree, it would be a great little city bike, but where i live, it's ALL country back roads. To me, it's more fun riding the country roads with no stop signs, etc.
Jimbo321
Net Rider

Postby JD » Sun May 06, 2012 6:58 pm

That's a beautiful area. We've ridden the stretch of KY-8 from Maysville to Augusta a couple of times during our Georgetown, Ohio-centered rides.
...Operating with impunity in the legal gray area between bicycles and motorcycles....
JD
Master Regional Rider

Postby John » Mon May 07, 2012 6:06 am

Hey, Ive been there too! Should have looked up your location, right JD. Good times.....
John

John
Master Regional Rider

Postby Jimbo321 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:27 am

I'm located about six miles from Butler, Ky., it's a beautiful area, many backroads to explore.
Jimbo321
Net Rider

Next

Return to Moped Riders